Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The Day The Music Died....Lost Ballrooms (Read 54714 times)
05/18/04 at 19:13:30

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
The history of Irish music
is a continuing journey
Sligo, Ireland

In researching for the ballroom section of the site, I am discovering that quite a few that are simply gone...as in--demolished! A few that spring to mind are Pontoon Ballroom in Mayo, the Silver Slipper/Baymount in Strandhill, Pavilion Ballroom in Louth, Pavilion Ballroom in Skerries, and soon to be National Ballroom in Dublin (reported 8/15/03). What about your local ballrooms? Have they survived?

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 06/22/04 at 09:55:17

seenthescene   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Well, The Tempo in Moira is still there but I believe is now used as a church or meeting hall.

St. Clares in Glenavy still stands but has turned to a quieter lifestyle as just a Parish hall. I don't really know what goes on there now, used to be the odd whist-drive.

And as mentioned elsewhere Top Hat no longer stands.

There was also another hall up at Pond Park had a Friday night dance, it's still standing.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 05/15/06 at 00:33:24

irishmolly   Offline
I love showband music
dublin

not too sure what happened to ,ierne.AOH, georges hotel, the irish club. the town and country aka the town and muck.the crystal ballroom.
discos will never have the atmosphere the ballrooms had

Alice
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 05/15/06 at 00:56:57

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

Smiley Smiley SmileyI agree with Irish Molly the discos won't replace the ballrooms,when they pulled down the National a few months ago,I felt as if a part of me had gone too,there were so many memories for fans like myself and everyone connected to the music industry,lets savour those memories please Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 05/15/06 at 22:11:17

kelly_17   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

The Ritz ballroom in Carlow stands idle now for nearly 20 years
« Last Edit: 06/20/07 at 16:20:57 by kelly_17 »  
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 05/15/06 at 22:37:17

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

It was a great spot 8)

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 05/15/06 at 23:25:21

kelly_17   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Yes it was, the last band I seen there were The Indians, they had a greart  show very talented musicians long live Live Music.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 05/15/06 at 23:43:04

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!
Northamptonshire, England

Yes, I have to agree with you about the Indians. They're still going today but I haven't seen them in many years.

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them!
IP Logged

Reply #8 - 09/06/06 at 02:46:47

Shay   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Longford

Sad to see The Granada Ballroom in Granard Co Longford demolished last week Truly the end of an era for the North Midlands

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 09/24/06 at 02:08:40

breezy_willow   Offline
Music Student
"Where you playing tonight?"
 "The Fireside Inn"
Surrey, England

Hi
The Westpark Hotel, Portumna, Co Galway had a great ballroom and played host to many of the top bands from around the country. It was heartbreaking to see them put in raised platforms and fixed seatings when they changed it into a niteclub/disco.  It is now an upmarket country park hotel. I doubt if they hold dances there anymore. Such a shame. I enjoyed many, many happy times there! At least the memories are strong - they can't demolish them!!!
D

Enjoy life...it only happens once!
IP Logged

Reply #10 - 11/21/06 at 09:27:27

ronnie   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

It is so sad to see all the ballrooms closing.  They were ballrooms of romance for many and indeed many met their husband/wife there.  I remember Dancing all over Wexford and all the ballrooms in Dublin.  Anyone remember going to the Ags dance on a Wed night in the Olympic?

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 12/13/06 at 04:17:58

dub_in_scotland   Offline
sot of remember the seventies
scotland

grew up in dublin three years younger then you and i dont remember being in any of those places,mind you i was hippy type back then and we probably moved in different circles

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 12/14/06 at 12:53:30

noman34   Offline
Showband
"Live Long and Prosper"
Walsall

As they say `Time marchs on/This is progress`(?) so lets be fair about this and stop looking back through `rose-tinted` glasses.
I agree with all of you that it is very sad to see the ballrooms disappearing-they were a part of our growing up, a part of our memories(some happy, some not).However,for every decent ballroom there were 5 or 6 rotten.Granted we did not mind at the time but would you be happy going to one of them now?
Before any of you call me a silly,sad person, think on this-I (like most of you) grew up during the showband era and looked forward to the dances AND hitched to carnivals. Yes,the bands were good (and I am not putting them down)They provided music/entertainment in places where there was nothing, they worked hard to do this and I say `Thank You` to them all (good & bad) but the venues-that is something different.
As long as one person remembers where they danced then the ballroom will never be missed.

There is too much Hate in the World. Love (any kind of Love) is fine by me.
IP Logged

Reply #13 - 12/15/06 at 11:28:48

ronnie   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

The Ritz in Carlow was a great spot, I spent many Sat nights there or in Carlow Rugby Club.  Anyone remember the Rugby Club?

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 12/15/06 at 12:02:31

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Not the rugby club but I remember the Ritz 8)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print