Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Calling all MEMORIES fans (Read 14410 times)
09/07/04 at 02:55:47

memsfan   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sad news for all you fans of the Memories. Lead singer Jim Barry is retiring from the music business!  Embarrassed My sources tell me that there is going to be a very hush-hush send off for him at Break for the Border in Dublin on September 29th. Hush-hush because he doesn't know about it....it's a surprise! Original band members Mick Swan and Daire Doyle along with a host of others will perform. Get there before 9pm so you don't spoil the surprise! True fans shouldn't miss this last opportunity to catch Jim in action. He will  be missed!

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 09/11/04 at 04:02:46

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
The history of Irish music
is a continuing journey
Sligo, Ireland

Is there any way somebody could capture the night and send us a few photos that we can post? Please let me know.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 09/12/04 at 19:31:40

memsfan   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Absolutely! I'm sure that won't be a problem.  Cheesy I know a few people who'll be there. Thanks.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 09/26/04 at 13:43:38

francisk   Offline
Music Student

It's quite possible that because of this post, Jim Barry will now find out about the surprise re-union before the night. I've known about it for quite some time but didn't post it anywhere. Secrets should be kept!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 09/27/04 at 18:07:36

memsfan   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Thanks for your concern but I have it on good authority that Jim is still in blissful ignorance - he's been in Spain for the past couple of weeks and won't be coming home until the day before the bash.  Wink Everybody involved has been so great at keeping it from him and since he's been away we have been plugging the night like crazy so there'll be a good turnout. Fortunately, his wife Jan has been keeping a watchful eye on everything he's been doing....screening all of his calls and supervising his internet surfing! So Far So Good! With just 3 days to go,  I'm confident we'll pull it off without letting the cat out of the bag........famous last words, huh?  Smiley Although it is great to know that word has been spreading. I hope you'll be able to join us for the night.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 10/03/04 at 11:52:47

francisk   Offline
Music Student

The Memories' story will be in Ireland's Own magazine in the next few weeks.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 11/25/04 at 00:30:02

memoriesfan   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

hi im wondering if any body can help me with any photos old and new any video footage old and new well this is befor the mems split i use to rodie with them for 2-3 years and now im 22 and im on a search to write a book about them i met darie doyle the other day but never got a number from him so im wondering if any fans or just some wit anything any thing at all about the memories i will be so greatfull if you could help

kind regrads
   james gannon

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 12/03/04 at 23:28:27

memsfan   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I should be able to reach one or other of the Memories in the next few days. I can have Jim, Mick or Daire email you if you like. Is that your current email address in your profile? I'm sure someone will get in touch with you.  Wink I would love to read the book when it's done - have you started yet?

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 01/22/05 at 02:20:52

barneynoise1   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Can't believe no one let us know about Jim's retirement gig in break for the border.  It happened in September????   Angry  We've been going to see 'The Memories' since 1983, every chance we got.  We are now 34 and very disappointed that we weren't there for the last gig.  So we want wish Jim all the very best in his retirement.  South of France is looking good Jim.   Bon & Nikki  Grin

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 04/16/05 at 18:28:31

deco   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hello there

i have just joined I S.COM
and just read this message about the memories
My question to you and to anyoneise -where can i get some of the memories music recorded over the years?
i have on cd 'classic Memories' which included some great tracks like nights in white satan and stairway to heaven but
thats all i have

i know for eg that the Queen show was reiorded and available at one stage on tape and there were many othere does anybody have any of there mucic that they could sell to me or i could record on tape
ior does anuone have an email address of any of the main membere-ie Jim Barry,Mike Swan,Dara Doyle -so maybe i could give one of them a  shout-im sure they wouldnt mind
or does anyone know of anyplace in dublin where they might be selling it-either cd vinal or tape
im 39 now-the first band i ever saw live was the memories in 1981-the next one was the message....
when the original line up regrouped i followed their careers at all times and saw them many many times-in london where i live for 10 yrs,in athlone where i am from and in dublin where i am settled

i was a big fan
they had a residency in doyles pub in phibsborough upstairs on a monday night-around 1996/7/8-i always went and used to love it
they were the best-personally i collect music cd's and have over 700 of themn-a lot of the older rock/pop stuff is coming available now on cd and i am buying a lot and ading to my collection
but i would love to add some of the memories recordings to mycollection
i am also interested in recordings from stepaside,the bogey boys,the lookalikes and the platterman
anybody out thgere halp me??

deco

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 07/12/05 at 13:23:06

ShortTermMemory   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Howya,

I'm hoping to pull together a collection of all the old Memories vinyls as well as their more recent stuff and do a kind of 'best of' effort. This is unofficial at the moment and is just a project I'm working on in my limited spare time but providing none of the lads mind, I'll post back up here when it's done.

Any interest?

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 08/25/05 at 23:42:09

nosey   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Do you remember Laim Mc Kenna who played with the band in the late 70's early 80's.  He never seems to be mentioned in any of the inquiries about the band.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 10/21/05 at 19:17:56

ShortTermMemory   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

As far as I'm aware Liam cannot be traced. I know that several attempts were made to track him down in order for him to attend Jim Barry's retirement celebration. I believe he was last accounted for in London. One report claims that Liam may no longer be alive, unfortunately, but this is as yet unsubstantiated.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 02/14/06 at 23:35:51

nosey   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

totally shocked, I hope he is happy where ever he is, I met him often at the dances in the the 70's and early 80's he was a a realy nice guy.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 05/03/06 at 02:02:39

doney   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

i logged in here to talk about irish showbands did not expect to read about american country music,surely there must be another site for that.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print