Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Chessmen Showband (Read 153115 times)
02/14/06 at 03:24:07

tonhan4   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I am trying to make contact with Pascal Haverty, the sax player with The Chessmen. Has anybody out there any idea where he might be contacted? Does anybody know whether he still lives in Ireland or abroad? Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Tony Hanna

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 05/07/06 at 19:36:34

mccabe   Offline
Thanks for helping!

Hello Tony
I see you are looking for the Chessmen as well. I am particularly interested in the Chessmen because I would like to know if it was they who played on the 4th january 1963 and again on 4th November 1966 at the Pavillion Strathpeffer in the North of Scotland. They may have been playing there the night that the Beatles visited to check the place out. If I find out anything I'll pass it on. Best regards.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 05/09/06 at 01:28:03

tonhan4   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Thank you for that, I am really interested in tracing Paschal Haverty., the sax player, we knew each other long before his showband days. Some news I did manage to obtain was that he was living somewhere around southern Africa as recent as eleven years ago. If you uncover anything else, let me know. By the way I was the a/r manager with EMI records from 1969 and on from a good period after that and dealt with a lot of showbands during that period.
Regards,
Tony Hanna

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 01/22/07 at 15:39:21

MIMOB1   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi There Tony, well i must say it was a bit of a shock when this message was stumbled upon! My name is Miriam O'Brien and i am Paschal Haverty's  neice his sister Mary is my Mother!! So there you go, hopefully you will see this now and we can organize to get in touch,

Best Regards,
Miriam O'Brien.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 01/29/07 at 20:17:42

tonhan4   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Dear Miriam,
My name is Tony Hanna and I originally put this notice up nearly a year ago. Danny, Pascal and many others including myself were alter boys in the Franciscan Friary Merchant's Quay many years ago. And it is with this that I wished to contact your uncles. Our mentor Bro. Sebastian will be 90 years old in March and we are planning a gettogether for that occasion and naturally we would like as many passed members to present at that time. The date has yet to be confirmed. We did hold one last may because the brother wasn't too well at that time so just in case..... there you have it.  was tracking Pascal down last year and the last sighting of him was by Robert McGrattan way back in the early ninties when Mr. McGrattan was told that your nephew was in the city from southern Africa and there thr trail ended. I myself have workrd in the music business for most of my life and that is how I have a knack of tracking down people. If your uncles cannot attend perhaps they could send messages to Bro. Sebastian on the occasion of his birthday. Sorry for the delay in replying to you I forgot my password. I would like to hear from you again if you have time.

Tony Hanna

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 03/01/07 at 01:57:09

tonhan4   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

For the attention of Miriam O'Brien,
I would like to talk to you direct, e-mail to e-mail. My e-mail address is as follows tonhan4@hotmail.com
Tony Hanna

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 04/04/08 at 23:43:53

whistle   Offline
Journeyman Musician
while you work
Kerry

Hello Tony

as A&R Manager with EMI you must have some stories to tell?  Why have we not seen more posts from you?  You must have a lot of inside information (and I don't mean gossip!)
What acts did you discover and release? It was a great time in the music business and very tough to identify the wheat from the chaff...weren't the Beatles turned down repeatedly in the UK, and I heard a great story about CBS Ireland, CBS UK and a young band called U2.
What have you been doing since EMI?
Whistle

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 04/04/08 at 23:46:37

whistle   Offline
Journeyman Musician
while you work
Kerry

more, Tony...were you there when the Others - with Ronan Collins on skins  - released their single, Ring Ring?

W.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 02/25/11 at 11:43:08

cursedanna22   Offline
Music Student
I Love YaBB 2!

Hello Tony,
I'm the Manager Agent and more importantly friend of Jonathan Ledingham who later worked under the name of Jonathan Kelly. I run a website and Archive for Jonathan and I'm constantly carrying out research.

Out of the blue a few days ago I received a mysterious email, it was via Vipermail which I cannot reply to and the email is unsigned so I have no idea who sent it but, I have pasted it here:
Hi Gerald,
I did several recordings of JON for EMI Records in Dublin during the late 60's. I worked in Avondale Studios which was in the same building as EMI at 23 Lr. Dominick St. Dublin 1. Tony Hanna was the A and R man for EMI and as far as I know the tapes were sent to EMI in London. Hope this is of some help to you.

After receiving this email I did a little research on Google and came across some messages from a Tony Hanna on the Irish Show bands site and I'm hoping that you are the same person referred to in this email, if so I would love to hear from you.

I am constantly looking for rare recordings and TV or Film Footage of Jonathan, sadly it's often a frustrating search, his TV appearances have been wiped by TV companies in Britain, Ireland & Germany, there was thought to be some film but this cannot be located. In the near future I am hoping to try to find time to see if I can locate any original studio tapes to see if they might contain and unreleased songs or interesting items, such as alternate versions, although Jonathan says he believes they wasted very little time in the studio and just recorded what was released, though his memory has let him down on a few other occasions so I'm hoping it might be the case here as well.

Today Jonathan lives in happy retirement with his family In North Wales, He came out of retirement a few years ago to perform at a charity concert I was organising and afterwards he did a short tour before retiring again, his voice may not be as good as it once once, but he has lost none of his ability.

If you care

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print