Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
the national (Read 18198 times)
06/13/06 at 00:58:39

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley SmileyMy love affair with the showbands started in 1975 in the National,always loved going there,the crac,the atmosphere, the sound system was excellent,could even hear the music in the toilets! It was like home from home for me,very much the showband headquarters! wasn't it? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 06/14/06 at 01:44:05

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

Smiley Smiley SmileyYes I agree with Kelly it was a great place to go for fans,plus everyone in the biz,there was always that gaggle of banmanagers,fellow musicians and media personnel,my letter to Maxi ex Sheeba on RTE 1 about the National aroused a lot of interest.Best Wishes,Pete aka celebrity Tongue Tongue Tongue

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 06/14/06 at 15:07:37

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

I think the same would apply to most ballrooms around the country, for different reasons for different people. I started at my local, the Entertainment Centre. Arklow, known as the Centre. Great place with a fantastic atmosphere. I didn't frequent the Ormonde in Arklow as much, mainly because it was a stronghold of Real ballroom dancing. I din't like the real stuff as I couldn't do it, I suppose because I was too lazy to learn. Other top class ballrooms were: the Ritz Carlow, the Mayfair Kilkenny, the Atheneum Enniscorthy and where would you leave the Tara Courtown, one of the daddy's of them all.
In hindsight I think I was fortunate in being around as a punter and a band member at the very peak of the showband scene, 1960-66. A lot of people would disagree with this and claim that their era was the best. Rightly so too. Regardless of when a person was involved it boiled down to what they enjoyed and what memories they have 8)

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 06/14/06 at 19:58:47

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!
Northamptonshire, England

My fave dance place was Heatherville Country Club near Kinnegad, Co. Westmeath - holds such great memories until it turned into a nightclub... All the big bands played there throughout the '70's. Other locals were the County Hall and the Lakeland in Mullingar, which I think changed it's name to the Horizon in mid '70's. Great bands - great atmosphere - happy days!  Cheesy

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them!
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 06/15/06 at 01:02:20

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley I agree with Trisha there was a great atmosphere and great bands,also with Llamos comments too,obviously everyone has their own favourites,they were great places to meet people of the opposite sex or just to dance or listen to the bands,like I did when watching Roly Daniels  at the Tara Club in Dublin,he was superb.Best Wishes,Pete Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 07/01/06 at 15:34:58

angelvoice   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Ex-Showband front woman!

The first ever band I saw live was Chips at the Tara, I was 17 and had just been taken on By Louis Walsh who was managing  Chips
I was knocked out by the atmosphere and by the two girls, Irene and Linda, but especially Irene...now she was truly a Rock Chick!
It was a more modern venue than the National but the National holds a 1000 more special memories for me,
Gigs I performed at and bands I saw there, Joe Dolan (I later got asked to sing backing vocals on a few of his tracks-more and more, etc) The memories, to name but two. I can even remember seeing ..oh what was her name? she was an american singer who was married to someone Like Dave Edmonds, her catch phrase was she put the C*** back in Country....!!!!!!! that raised a few eyebrows I can tell you. Clarlene something or the other I think!
Anyway, what about that great hall in ballybunion, or the dying hall in Gallway...can't remember their names...but remember the venues well. Also Bantry Boys Club...Brill!!!! always ckocker, to the door. And in Dublin...who remembers the Embankment and the guy who ran it...great gig...or the TOP HAT in Dun Laorighe?????
Memories come flooding back!
I used to really enjoy the Lookalikes too, mind you I had a personal interest!
X

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 07/01/06 at 23:11:06

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!
Northamptonshire, England

Hi Dee...Was it Carlene Carter (who was married to Nick Lowe & daughter of the late Johnny Cash) who was said to have used that expression? It's the type of expression that is quite remembered... Smiley

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them!
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 07/02/06 at 18:24:55

angelvoice   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Ex-Showband front woman!

God bless your memory Trisha...yes it was..that's exactly right.
I didn't know she was Johnny Cash's Daughter.
Have you seen his new single?
I think it's lovely...very moving
X

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 03/01/08 at 04:15:37

Christopher   Offline
Co. Down

Big crowds aways turned up to dance to the Clipper Carltons at Capronis at Ballyholme, Bangor, Co. Down. There's a message dated February 2006 on Belfast Forum saying that their guitarist Barney Skillen had died but there's no mention of his death on the Obituary board on this site.

The Dad of one of the Forum members was in a few showbands ... the Clippers, Jimmy Johnston showband and a few more and that member has posted a query about Barney but the origimal poster has not replied.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print