Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The two best showbands! (Read 27501 times)
10/13/06 at 08:38:48

pippy6   Offline
conniseur of good music.

Hello:
       Used to dance in Redbarn Youghal Co.Cork....in the 60's.Only two bands turned my crank.They were,of course ! !...The freshmen,and the plattermen,when Brian Coll was the lead singer.All the others?.Well !...........oh well !.Need I say more !.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 06/14/07 at 14:38:58

Tiptop   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I feel the Plattermen only achieved their musical peak following Brian Coll's departure. Does anyone else have a view on this?

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 06/14/07 at 14:43:07

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

You're probably right Tiptop. I'm not really qualified to say as my reign of terror was during the Brian Coll years.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 06/14/07 at 15:26:05

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

Everyone has their favourites. for me personally it  was Nevada when Tina and Glen Curtin fronted the band, they were terrific, also New Blues, when Lola, also Carole fronted the band,yet when Karen took over from Tina there was not the same magic there, also after Lola leaving N B prior to Carole joining there was something missing.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 06/14/07 at 16:34:13

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

As for favourites, mine were The Royal and not forgetting The Capitol, Johnny Quigley etc.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 08/12/07 at 23:36:56

mirzah   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
england

Used to go to Redbarn in the 60's  favourite bands the Freshmen and Plattermen but can't remember Brian Coll with the Plattermen. 

Mirzah

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 08/12/07 at 23:59:16

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

That's strange. We differ there. I can't remember The Plattermen without Brian Coll and I was going to dances in the 60s ???

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 08/13/07 at 02:04:54

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi all,

Not being semantic but Brian sang with the "Platters". They only became the Plattermen when Rob Strong joined and they went all "Blood Sweat and Tears.

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 08/13/07 at 02:18:49

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Barry, my friend Wink Not true. Brian still was with them when they became The Plattermen and for some time after. Shocked

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 08/13/07 at 13:58:26

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Thanks Liam, I stand corrected. I remember seeing the Plattermen in their BS&T incarnation, all headbands and tie-dyed shirts etc. The band was brilliant, great arrangements, Rob Strong was like a feral force in front of the band, a complete hand-brake turn from the accepted showband formula. Unfortunately it died on it's proverbial ass. The people just were not ready for such a radical change of approach to the showband.  Personally I think they made a courageous decision to try something different and the guys deserve great credit for a noble effort.

Rgds

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 08/13/07 at 14:38:26

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Barry,,,,You can sit down corrected Grin It's very seldom I know something and am certain of it so you'll have to excuse me showing off for once. I never saw the re-vamped Plattermen but I heard they were great. As you say, probably  ahead of their time Embarrassed

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 02/22/08 at 17:35:16

bonny   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
dundalk co louth

hi i have just bought with lot trouble old drifters CD, AH ITS BRILL,
ITS CALLED :ANSWER TO EVERYTHING; tommy swarbrigg on it singing minutes to midnight, its real 60ths im so delighted with it,

patricia sharkey
IP Logged

Reply #12 - 02/23/08 at 00:43:20

nice   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

yes bonny agree joe dolan/drifters  brill showband in
all decadesalso eileen reid/cadets .they brill also
does anyone remember cadets 8) SmileySad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print