Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Let's start a new Showband (Read 60739 times)
Reply #15 - 01/05/07 at 00:23:37

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Quote:
Keith Donald, saxaphone

Yes he's in, and as you can never have enough good sax players, and there is no limit to the size of this Band, I would like my mate Charlie Cheevers the Boss of the old, Blue Aces in as well please.

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 01/05/07 at 00:30:13

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Quote:
Eric Clapton, lead guitar

Yes please! and how about Gary Moore, and Rory? Hey we need a bass, I know who I would pick (he knows Gary), but what say you all??

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 01/05/07 at 00:33:08

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trish wrote on 01/04/07 at 23:52:38:
Yeah I have one...or two...Brian May from Queen on lead guitar & Jon Bon Jovi - lead vocals 8)

Hey we need a name!! come on, thinking caps on, and I think it only right that the word 'Showband' go on the end.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 01/05/07 at 00:42:26

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!
Northamptonshire, England

Hey! Ron, Can I add some more? Daire Doyle (Mems) on bass guitar. I suppose if Barry isn't busy, he could join in too? Wink. I think Bobby Smith (Royal Blues) would do a fine job on trumpet. As would Tommy Swarbrigg (Times). Grin
It's a naff name but what about 'The Universal Showband'? Well it's a start.... Undecided

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them!
IP Logged

Reply #19 - 01/05/07 at 10:38:49

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Quote:
why not have two drummers/percussionists -  Paul McAteer (along with Ron's Keith Moon)

Hello Luap, It was Whistle who suggested Keith Moon, and what a great choice! so we have two drummers as Paul is in as well.

IP Logged

Reply #20 - 01/05/07 at 11:05:05

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trish wrote on 01/05/07 at 00:42:26:
Hey! Ron, Can I add some more? Daire Doyle (Mems) on bass guitar. I suppose if Barry isn't busy, he could join in too? Wink. I think Bobby Smith (Royal Blues) would do a fine job on trumpet. As would Tommy Swarbrigg (Times). Grin
It's a naff name but what about 'The Universal Showband'? Well it's a start.... Undecided

Hello Trisha, your choice of players has been noted. And I must be honest, the choice of your name 'The Universal Showband' is mind bendingly good!!! I mean it says it all, it encapsulates the whole concept, it's a 'Universal Showband' players from all over the World, and indeed from the next World, who have the chance to play again in 'our Band'. As for Barry, if he is agreeable I would propose him as Leader of the Band, I can think of no-one better for the job, so Barry if you would be so kind, please step up and lead us. As for you Trisha, for the super job of chosing the name, would you please take on the job as 'Band Secretary'? What it would entail is going through all  the post's, sorting out who we have (when we have enough players) putting them in some sort of order so we can present the line-up to all the board members for approval. The only thing I would really like to keep on-board is the name, it's such a good name, so unless it's been taken by a Band in the past, I propose that the Band is, 'The Universal Showband', (I love that), would any-one care to second that proposal?

IP Logged

Reply #21 - 01/05/07 at 11:30:32

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi All,

Okay, if I'm gonna be be bandleader I have a job for Ron  as organiser of this outfit.
Tell the lads we're all meeting at Jas Fagan's tailors on Saturday to be measured for our band suits. I've decided on sky blue mohair 2 piece Italian style. (note) I anticipate problems with Keith Moon in this area,

Great thread !!

Yours with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #22 - 01/05/07 at 11:49:18

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Barry wrote on 01/05/07 at 11:30:32:
Hi All,

Okay, if I'm gonna be be bandleader I have a job for Ron  as organiser of this outfit.
Tell the lads we're all meeting at Jas Fagan's tailors on Saturday to be measured for our band suits. I've decided on sky blue mohair 2 piece Italian style. (note) I anticipate problems with Keith Moon in this area,

Great thread !!

Yours with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Barry

Hello Barry, It's great to have you on-board, and as band-leader. As for me being Organiser, well to be honest I think that job needs some-one with their 'feet on the ground', and much more business brains than I have, I mean do you really want a stupid idiot who was cheated out of about one million pounds organizing such a great Band as this? I think not. I would put myself up for Band Songwritter (we can have lot's more writers by the way), I have had a little success in that area. As for your idea on suits, I think we should be a little flexible on that, Eric Clapton, Gary Moore, and Rory in blue two-piece Mohair? not really, and Barry, we must take into consideration that the 'Mo' is now a protected animal, they were nearly wiped out in the Sixties by Irish Showbands! So can we agree that a resonable 'casual but smart' dress-code be observed? Once again Barry thank you for agreeing to be our leader, and what do you think of the Bands name? Trisha chose it, I proposed it, would you kindly second it please.

IP Logged

Reply #23 - 01/05/07 at 12:24:54

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Morning Ron,

Isn't this great fun. First of all the name is spot on. It actually souds like I know them already so no problems there. Also making her Band Secretary is a shewd move. I  would have every confidence in her. In fact I would see her role more as Marketing/Public Relations Director.
Couple of policy questions. Are we to be of the "Classic" Showband formula. ie Band Suits, eclectic programme (Pop, C/W, bit of Dixieland (to pacify the horn players)add a couple of comedy numbers,throw in one or two big showstoppers of the Holy City, Boolavogue genre and Robert is your mother's brother.
OR, Are we gonna be one the mid seventies 'Large beat group format.
Personally I'd go for the original approach if only for the pleasure of watching Old Slow Hand practicing playing in strange keys like Eflat, Aflat etc (see Horn players)

This thread is going to run and run.

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #24 - 01/05/07 at 12:52:47

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi again,
Afterthought. As far as I'm concerned there is only one man to front The Universals and that is Dickie Rock. I know I'm biased as I was his bass player for many years and I still do a fair bit of work with him, but for me he is sheer class. There is no one quite like him, his versatility is amazing. He can sing literally anything. For example on the Vicar Street gig I did with him in April we played numbers from Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Bobby Darin, Barry White, Tony Bennett, Jack Jones,Willy Nelson, Plus all his own hits. We had a sixteen piece band and it turned out to be one of the best gigs I've ever done in my life. It was sold out and the audience was fantastic. Dickie gave them a truly great night's entertainment.

Just a thought
Barry

IP Logged

Reply #25 - 01/05/07 at 13:07:03

whistle   Offline
Journeyman Musician
while you work
Kerry

Whoa there cowboys, slow down!  As George W Bush's Number One Fan, I believe in democracy and I suggest we assemble a few more proposals and then take a vote on it. 
Perhaps the Administrator might create a table (similar to the listings for band members on the main website), and have people vote within, say a specific time period;  maybe we could put January 31st as the cutoff date? 
I also think we need a lot more suggestions for the brass section and I would humbly suggest, at risk of offending some members, that we need to look outside our little island of Ireland.  I don't have a great opinion of our native horn players, I'm sorry; I often go to hear the NSO and even they leave a little to be desired.  Now, when Bruce is finished his Seger Sessions tour, we could maybe send our manager to discuss terms with those guys?  They were somethin' else!
What about John Drummond on bass?

PS - Point Of Order: Ron!!!! the first time Keith Moon was mentioned on this forum was when you said Keith was the only drummer who could keep up with the punks....so you need to take the credit for that suggestion!

IP Logged

Reply #26 - 01/05/07 at 13:09:57

whistle   Offline
Journeyman Musician
while you work
Kerry

what about Bob Geldof on keyboards?

No! STOP!  I'm only kidding!  forget I opened my mouth!!!!!  It was a joke! REALLY!!!!

IP Logged

Reply #27 - 01/05/07 at 13:26:16

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Barry wrote on 01/05/07 at 12:24:54:
Morning Ron,

Isn't this great fun. First of all the name is spot on. It actually souds like I know them already so no problems there. Also making her Band Secretary is a shewd move. I  would have every confidence in her. In fact I would see her role more as Marketing/Public Relations Director.
Couple of policy questions. Are we to be of the "Classic" Showband formula. ie Band Suits, eclectic programme (Pop, C/W, bit of Dixieland (to pacify the horn players)add a couple of comedy numbers,throw in one or two big showstoppers of the Holy City, Boolavogue genre and Robert is your mother's brother.
OR, Are we gonna be one the mid seventies 'Large beat group format.
Personally I'd go for the original approach if only for the pleasure of watching Old Slow Hand practicing playing in strange keys like Eflat, Aflat etc (see Horn players)

This thread is going to run and run.

Barry

Salutations Barry.

Glad you are enjoying this as much as I am. Re' Trisha and making her in charge of PR etc, what a great idea! apart from anything else her chosing the name alone makes her 'worth her weight in gold'. What a great name, I think we should register the name, any idea how to do this? and make the members of this board the owners of the name (if that is OK with Trisha). If this goes were I think it could go there might even be some type of recording (how I don't know), and some money raised for charity 'Universal Showband' , that name just trips off the tounge, so very good. As for the Bands song sheet, well I 100% agree with you, it should be the former, a 'Classic' Showband, and although some of the Members of the Bands come from out-side Ireland, the Band should be 'Irish at heart', after all it was an Irish concept in the first place, and the Irish are what-ever anyone else thinks the finest Race God put on this Earth, he made the rest with the left-overs!!!!! To prove my point even the Americans who think they are the 'Cat's whiskers' all claim that they have a bit of Irish blood in them!!! and that's a fact!!! Getting back to the song-list, I would like one song in particular, 'The Holy Ground' (Fine Girl you are), such fond memories of singing that in the Blue Aces. Talking about the 'Blue Aces' if you go to my website,www.ronryanmusic.com  and follow the link to Rock-talk', then on to my 'Ron Ryans Round Table', some one has posted a picture there of 'The Blue Aces' and it's a 'Black Band' !!! and it's advertising 'That's allright', a song I wrote, and we recorded!!!  
And Barry, one thing I have noticed on this thread is we are all working in harmony! everybody is happy, and is joining in, now that's food for thought, what say you? All the best mate, Ron.

IP Logged

Reply #28 - 01/05/07 at 13:37:37

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

A few more for consideration. I'm biased so Brendan Bowyer vocals,  Arty McGlynn, guitar.  Don Long, trombone. and Roy Addinell, trumpet.

IP Logged

Reply #29 - 01/05/07 at 13:42:00

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

whistle wrote on 01/05/07 at 13:09:57:
what about Bob Geldof on keyboards?

No! STOP!  I'm only kidding!  forget I opened my mouth!!!!!  It was a joke! REALLY!!!!

No I think that's a great idea, we need all the help we can get, perhaps he could be the Bands Mascot?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print