Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Let's start a new Showband (Read 60740 times)
Reply #45 - 01/06/07 at 00:12:36

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi

HOT Air Guitar I think. Sorry, Couldn't resist ir !!

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #46 - 01/06/07 at 02:34:19

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!
Northamptonshire, England

Ok folks, here goes the list so far:

The
Universal
Showband
(the lists are not in alphabetical order)

Vocals:  Brendan Ryder, Ray Lynam, Jon Bon Jovi, Brendan Bowyer, Dickie Rock, Billy Brown, Rob Strong.

Percussion: Keith Moon, Paul McAteer.

Guitar: Eric Clapton, Tiger Taylor, Arty McGlynn, Brian May, Gary Moore, Rory Gallagher.

Bass: Daire Doyle, John Drummond, Noel McGann

Keyboards: Jools Holland, Ray Moore

Trumpet: Bobby Smith, Roy Addinell, Mike Nolan. Tommy Swarbrigg, Stephen McDonald.

Trombone: Don Long, John Trotter, Carl Ronan, Jack Bayle.

Sax: Keith Donald, Charlie Cheevers.

Tenor Sax: Richie Buckley, Karl Gerrathy (?), Derek O'Conner.

Backing vocals: The Dixie Chicks

Note to members: As yet we do not have: Rhythm guitar, Fiddle, Steel guitar, Harmonica (Can we also have a Bodhran player?... sorry I don't have any 'fada's ' on my pc.)

*Please excuse my ignorance if some of the above are in the wrong sections....no doubt I'll be corrected!  Tongue

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them!
IP Logged

Reply #47 - 01/06/07 at 02:47:03

Shay   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Longford

What about Gina for female vocals?

IP Logged

Reply #48 - 01/06/07 at 02:51:55

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!
Northamptonshire, England

That's the first suggestion we've had for female vocals (apart from the Dixie Chicks)...Good thinking there Shay!

May I suggest: Charlie Arkins for the fiddle?

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them!
IP Logged

Reply #49 - 01/06/07 at 03:23:06

shiner   Offline
Music Student
donegal

Grin mark king ,,,level 42  bass guitar. brendan ryder also used 2 play a  single stand alone .......drum ???xcuse my ignorance Grin Shocked Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #50 - 01/06/07 at 10:38:32

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trish wrote on 01/06/07 at 02:34:19:
Ok folks, here goes the list so far:

The
Universal
Showband
(the lists are not in alphabetical order)

Vocals:  Brendan Ryder, Ray Lynam, Jon Bon Jovi, Brendan Bowyer, Dickie Rock, Billy Brown, Rob Strong.

Percussion: Keith Moon, Paul McAteer.

Guitar: Eric Clapton, Tiger Taylor, Arty McGlynn, Brian May, Gary Moore, Rory Gallagher.

Bass: Daire Doyle, John Drummond, Noel McGann

Keyboards: Jools Holland, Ray Moore

Trumpet: Bobby Smith, Roy Addinell, Mike Nolan. Tommy Swarbrigg, Stephen McDonald.

Trombone: Don Long, John Trotter, Carl Ronan, Jack Bayle.

Sax: Keith Donald, Charlie Cheevers.

Tenor Sax: Richie Buckley, Karl Gerrathy (?), Derek O'Conner.

Backing vocals: The Dixie Chicks

Note to members: As yet we do not have: Rhythm guitar, Fiddle, Steel guitar, Harmonica (Can we also have a Bodhran player?... sorry I don't have any 'fada's ' on my pc.)

*Please excuse my ignorance if some of the above are in the wrong sections....no doubt I'll be corrected!  Tongue

Hello Trisha, Well done! we need a list as we are going to put it to everyone to vote who's in, and who's not, with a suggested cut-off end of this Month. It looks like the name 'Universal' has been used before, but as a side-name, IE 'Some-one and the Universal's', I don't see a problem myself as when I was in 'The BlueAces' back in the Sixties there was another Showband called 'The Black Aces', but we will have to have a think about that, my feelings are that 'The Universal Showband' is such a great name we should run with it.

I think there are some great choices in our list. Sad to say I have never seen 'Dickie Rock' in action, but from what I have heard from the lads In the 'Blue Aces' he is magic, and glad to see him there,  I saw Bredan Bowyer on Shows, and worked with him on British TV, he's 'sound as a pound' and I am also pleased to see him there, well desreved. And if I may put myself forward I would love to sing a couple of songs, I was singer in the 'Blue Aces', also with an English Pop-Band, 'The Riot Squad', and if anyone would like to go to my website www.ronryanmusic'com you can hear me singing there, most of what's there is 'Country' but I have had a go at other forms of music. Another thing we should be thinking about is the Bands song-list, Barry made a good point in that the Band should follow the 'Classic' Showband stlye. Songs I would like to see myself are 'The Holy Ground (Fine Girl you are)'  got to have 'The Hucklebuck', and I did like 'The old Woman from Wexford', great song. But there should be a mix (as there was back then), and some instrumentals to show off Barry and the rest of the great players.

So thanks for you work so far Trisha, your doing a grand job. Oh and one last thing, It looks like 'St Bob' might be in, as Bands mascot'.

IP Logged

Reply #51 - 01/06/07 at 10:44:25

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

shiner wrote on 01/06/07 at 03:23:06:
Grin mark king ,,,level 42  bass guitar. brendan ryder also used 2 play a  single stand alone .......drum ???xcuse my ignorance Grin Shocked Smiley

hello Shiner, Yes. yes. yes, now that's a great choice, I forgot all about Mark King, great player, Also Stanley Clarke, and Paul McCartney, a lot of people think more of him as a Singer/Songwriter, but I am sure Barry would back me up when I say he can play, and play well.

IP Logged

Reply #52 - 01/06/07 at 12:04:23

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

A song that would have to be on the list, in my estimation, is "If I didn't Have A Dime" and the singer, the late Tom Dunphy was no mean Bassist either.

Paddy Cole and Podger Reynolds could be considered on sax and Don Baker on harmonica.

IP Logged

Reply #53 - 01/06/07 at 12:15:43

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

liamo wrote on 01/06/07 at 12:04:23:
A song that would have to be on the list, in my estimation, is "If I didn't Have A Dime" and the singer, the late Tom Dunphy was no mean Bassist either.

Paddy Cole and Podger Reynolds could be considered on sax and Don Baker on harmonica.

Hello Liamo, We will put them on the list, it's all coming along very nicely. Thanks for your help regarding the other matter again, Ron

IP Logged

Reply #54 - 01/06/07 at 12:18:39

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

No Bother Ron

IP Logged

Reply #55 - 01/06/07 at 12:26:14

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

liamo wrote on 01/06/07 at 12:18:39:
No Bother Ron

Cheers.

IP Logged

Reply #56 - 01/06/07 at 12:38:05

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Good morning everyone,

I know wer'e havng great fun with this but I think we are getting a bit carried away. Correct me if I'm wrong but are we putting together an "Irish" Showband or an all star Supergroup ?
At this rate we are going to end up with a rhythm section comprised of people like Billy Cobham on drums, Jaco Pastorius on bass and Bill Evans on keyboards or a horn section featuring Miles Davis Charlie Parker and JJ Johnson with Harry Connick Jnr on lead vocals. This would would be a fantastic band but a Showband ? I don't think so.
How about this ? It's 1965 and you've been given the power and  the money to put together a "Super" Showband. For the sake of this hypothesis you can pick ANYONE from the showband scene who was playing at the time.
The criteria for anyone putting together such a band would be as follows. The band would have to be musically sound, look great and above all be ENTERTAINING. In other words a band that the IRISH dancing public would pay in to see.

Based on these criteria may I offer the following. (note) As I have a bottomless pi t of money I'm allowing myself the indulgence of making the band larger than the usual 7 piece lineup.(4 Horns "It's the arranger in me speaking here")
Anyway, Here goes !

Joe McCarthy Drums
Noel McGann  Bass
Clem Quinn     Guitar
Ray Lynam     Guitar/Vocals

Mike Nolan    Trumpet
John Trotter Trombone/Keyboards
Billy Brown   Tenor Sax/Keyboards/Vocals
Paddy Cole    Tenor/Clarinet

Dickie Rock /Brendan Bowyer/Joe Dolan Vocals(Take your pick)
Eileen Reid  Vocals.

No doubt there were others who could be chosen but based on the criteria outlined above I think this band would have a good chance of succeeding in the showband world of the 60's.

As to management. I suppose you could do a lot worse than the legendary TJ Byrne.

Rgds

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #57 - 01/06/07 at 13:33:25

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

[quote author=Barry link=1167931599/45#56 date=1168087085]

Good morning everyone,

I know wer'e havng great fun with this but I think we are getting a bit carried away. Correct me if I'm wrong but are we putting together an "Irish" Showband or an all star Supergroup ?
At this rate we are going to end up with a rhythm section comprised of people like Billy Cobham on drums, Jaco Pastorius on bass and Bill Evans on keyboards or a horn section featuring Miles Davis Charlie Parker and JJ Johnson with Harry Connick Jnr on lead vocals. This would would be a fantastic band but a Showband ? I don't think so.
How about this ? It's 1965 and you've been given the power and  the money to put together a "Super" Showband. For the sake of this hypothesis you can pick ANYONE from the showband scene who was playing at the time.
The criteria for anyone putting together such a band would be as follows. The band would have to be musically sound, look great and above all be ENTERTAINING. In other words a band that the IRISH dancing public would pay in to see.

Based on these criteria may I offer the following. (note) As I have a bottomless pi t of money I'm allowing myself the indulgence of making the band larger than the usual 7 piece lineup.(4 Horns "It's the arranger in me speaking here")
Anyway, Here goes !

Joe McCarthy Drums
Noel McGann  Bass
Clem Quinn     Guitar
Ray Lynam     Guitar/Vocals

Mike Nolan    Trumpet
John Trotter Trombone/Keyboards
Billy Brown   Tenor Sax/Keyboards/Vocals
Paddy Cole    Tenor/Clarinet

Dickie Rock /Brendan Bowyer/Joe Dolan Vocals(Take your pick)
Eileen Reid  Vocals.

No doubt there were others who could be chosen but based on the criteria outlined above I think this band would have a good chance of succeeding in the showband world of the 60's.

As to management. I suppose you could do a lot worse than the legendary TJ Byrne.

Rgds

Barry

[/quote]

Hello Barry, I  hope the morning finds you well.

The original idea was to have a 'Imaginary Showband' but it need not to be of all Irish 'heads'. Don't forget  not all those who played in Showbands in the Sixties had the luck and good fortune to be born Irish, In fact I had a small 'Showband'  (The Walkers)in the ealy Sixties  that played Gigs at the 'Regent Rooms' Camden Town, and 'The Gresham', and many other 'Irish' Venues, and I was the only 'Head' in it that could claim any Irish blood, and I am only half Irish!! But we played a lot of Clancy Brothers songs, and we made a fair job of the Irish National Anthem, and were always well recieved. Now don't get me wrong, I have said all along that the front-men should be Irish, because although this proposed band is international, hence the great name Trisha came up with 'The Universal Showband' it will be 'Irish at heart' as the whole concept is built around an 'irish Showband'. There is nothing against you or anyone starting a new thread, 'the greatest Irish Showband ever', comprising of all the great pure Irish Heads past and present, I think that should be very interesting, and most importantly entertaining, and keeping this great 'Showband board alive, which was why I posted in the first place. In the Blue Aces we took a mainly Irish 'Irish Showband' into venues that had never heard of an Irish Showband, in England, Germany, and Denmark, and in some Venues and Countries they had never seen anything like it, and we pulled the places down!!!!! As I said I started this thread to geat some life going on this board, and to spread the news far and wide just how great Showbands were, and I have Americans, Canadians, and Brit's watching this site from my site  'Ron Ryans Round-Table' on the USA Board Rock-talk, I even have a feature on Showbands, and the Americans are very interested in the subject, and so they should be!!! So not trying to 'Hyjack' the idea, just spread it to a wider viewer. Cheers, Ron.

IP Logged

Reply #58 - 01/06/07 at 13:40:56

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

I'd be inclined to go along with Barry's concept above. A Showband, an Irish invention, for want of a better description, should be basically made up of Irish musicians (no offence intended Ron).!!!!!!!!!!!!! God knows there were plenty of outstanding musicians scattered throughout the many showbands.
I feel the other concept, though good, was ending up something like The Premier Division with too many world class musicians to chose from.

IP Logged

Reply #59 - 01/06/07 at 14:03:06

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

[quote author=liamo link=1167931599/45#58 date=1168090856]I'd be inclined to go along with Barry's concept above. A Showband, an Irish invention, for want of a better description, should be basically made up of Irish musicians (no offence intended Ron).!!!!!!!!!!!!! God knows there were plenty of outstanding musicians scattered throughout the many showbands.
I feel the other concept, though good, was ending up something like The Premier Division with too many world class musicians to chose from.[/quote]

Hello Liamo, No offence taken, I did say that Barry or anyone should feel free to start a new thread 'The Greatest Irish Showband Ever', and having it made up of Pure bred Irish 'Heads' (I refere you to my last post). but I know for a fact there were many 'Irish Showbands' who had English Heads in them, I was in one!!!!, and I say this, I worked dammed hard to spread the word, and as 'the Front-man' I think I did a good job. And also one of the songs I wrote 'that's allright' and  that we recorded is going for big money on ebay, in fact I saw a copy go for £100!!!! and how many Irish Showband records go for that? Yes the 'Showband ' is an Irish idea, I challenge anyone to say I ever said different. But music is like anything else in life, it changes, or it dies, fact! I mean how many Showbands are there left?, all the Heads that played in them and are still drawing breath, and are now playing in Rock, Jazz, Folk, Country Bands, not many in Showbands. My idea, as I stated before was two-fold, first to breathe some life into this board which, with all the respect in the World, and I can now thanks to you understand why, seemed a little quite. And to get people posting about a subject that is close to all our hearts, be those hearts Irish, Half Irish, or no Irish at all, but who loved Showbands'. My original idea was to spread the word around the World just how great Irish Showbands, and the Heads in them were, and to show them all what a Showband in 2007 would be like, Great Singers, great players (even if not all Irish born), superb music for dancing, and an entertaining Show for all, is that so bad? Another point, some-one saw a show called 'Riverdance' in London, and by all account not all the dancers were pure born Irish, but it did not stop it being a great show, and getting a standing ovation!!!!!!.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print