Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Let's start a new Showband (Read 60742 times)
Reply #75 - 01/06/07 at 22:51:49

whistle   Offline
Journeyman Musician
while you work
Kerry

I'm a little concerned about the kinda music that's being proposed.  One of the many, many, reasons why showbands disappeared (see "Demise Of The Showbands" thread coz I don't want to start all that again!) might arguably have been down to the set list.  "Fine Girl Ye Are" may have been fine in the 60s but we're into 2007 now. I haven't given much thought to my own proposals but frankly I baulk at some of the suggestions!
In fact, the songs we chose are going to be critical to the success of this band, perhaps we could create a set list for people to vote on in the same way I suggested that we vote for the musos who'll be playing?
And of course, original material is essential (see Demise etc etc etc....)
Trisha did good work in compiling a list a couple of days ago which really pulled the whole thing together.

IP Logged

Reply #76 - 01/06/07 at 22:57:43

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi Whistle,

"Personal experience" eh !  That's nice and vague but what the hell. "Not the first to say it."  Well Whistle, In the 40+ years I've known him you ARE the first I've heard say it. I'm sure that if this is a generally held view of Dickie the  contributors to this forum will support your opinion.

Lets leave it at that and get back to the thread.

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #77 - 01/06/07 at 23:19:46

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

whistle wrote on 01/06/07 at 22:51:49:
I'm a little concerned about the kinda music that's being proposed.  One of the many, many, reasons why showbands disappeared (see "Demise Of The Showbands" thread coz I don't want to start all that again!) might arguably have been down to the set list.  "Fine Girl Ye Are" may have been fine in the 60s but we're into 2007 now. I haven't given much thought to my own proposals but frankly I baulk at some of the suggestions!
In fact, the songs we chose are going to be critical to the success of this band, perhaps we could create a set list for people to vote on in the same way I suggested that we vote for the musos who'll be playing?
And of course, original material is essential (see Demise etc etc etc....)
Trisha did good work in compiling a list a couple of days ago which really pulled the whole thing together.

Hello Whistle, My reason for chosing the songs I did was that there should be a mix, and in that mix there must be some 'Irish Culture' and those are songs are, and I bet they would still well recieved. And Trisha did a very fine job, and is a very nice person.

IP Logged

Reply #78 - 01/07/07 at 00:39:50

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!
Northamptonshire, England

Thanks for that Ron! Right lads, it's back to business (never mind about who likes Dickie & who doesn't). Barry has already set this 'ball rolling' by namimg who he'd like in this 'Super Showband'. So this is mine ( I've added some C & W artists - well we gotta keep the all the fans happy)

Vocals: Jim Barry, Roly Daniels, Female - yet to be named.
Guitar: Bobby Kelly
Bass: Jim Hudson
Trumpet: Bobby Smith
Trombone: Vincent Gill
Sax: Keith Donald
Keyboards: Shay O'Donoghue
Percussion: Joe Mac (for entertainment value)
Banjo/Steel: Gerry Madigan
Fiddle: Charlie Arkins
Backing Singers: Maxi, Dick & Twink

If other members want to add their 'wish list', then maybe we can find our ideal  super Showband. Wink

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them!
IP Logged

Reply #79 - 01/07/07 at 00:48:58

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trish wrote on 01/07/07 at 00:39:50:
Thanks for that Ron! Right lads, it's back to business (never mind about who likes Dickie & who doesn't). Barry has already set this 'ball rolling' by namimg who he'd like in this 'Super Showband'. So this is mine ( I've added some C & W artists - well we gotta keep the all the fans happy)

Vocals: Jim Barry, Roly Daniels, Female - yet to be named.
Guitar: Bobby Kelly
Bass: Jim Hudson
Trumpet: Bobby Smith
Trombone: Vincent Gill
Sax: Keith Donald
Keyboards: Shay O'Donoghue
Percussion: Joe Mac (for entertainment value)
Banjo/Steel: Gerry Madigan
Fiddle: Charlie Arkins
Backing Singers: Maxi, Dick & Twink

If other members want to add their 'wish list', then maybe we can find our ideal  super Showband. Wink

hello Trisha, Go Girl!! I think you got some-thing going there. Mind you I worked a couple of times with Roly Daniels, great entertainer, did not know he was Irish though! still there you go. What about the song-list? I hope you put some of the old Showband clssics in. Very well done.

IP Logged

Reply #80 - 01/07/07 at 01:48:25

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!
Northamptonshire, England

Hiya Ron! No, Roly isn't Irish but Barry said that he had no problem adding his name on the list (see reply no.61). I suppose I could include someone like Jimmy Swarbrigg or Brendan O'Brien if Roly wasn't available!
As for a song list, I'm working on it. Is anyone else going to join in here...or am I flying solo? Undecided

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them!
IP Logged

Reply #81 - 01/07/07 at 02:04:28

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

There are some great female singers, better not include an email pal,so how about Gina, out of the champions?

IP Logged

Reply #82 - 01/07/07 at 13:10:36
luap   Ex Member

Johnny Carroll on trumpet perhaps?

IP Logged

Reply #83 - 01/09/07 at 20:30:25

Tiptop   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I've read with interest the suggestions for the lineup of the new showband. Here, for what it's worth , is my ideal lineup:

Vocals: Dickie Rock
Gtr : Louis Stewart
Bass: Rob Strong
Tpt: Ray Moore
Tbe: Don Long
Sax: Jim Farley
Keyboards: Billy Brown
Drums; Des Hopkins

IP Logged

Reply #84 - 01/10/07 at 00:28:18

shiner   Offline
Music Student
donegal

mary b who was the lady in   pluto. still playing and singing. Smiley(pluto donegal based band around 80s)

IP Logged

Reply #85 - 01/10/07 at 17:04:00

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Afternoon all,

I'm surprised no one has come up with ex showband sax player and Killnaskully star. Pat Shortt as a possible member.
In the original showband set-up he'd be a sure- fire hit.

Best

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #86 - 01/10/07 at 20:58:38

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

You won't get away with that here Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print