HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Universals (Read 19399 times)
03/06/07 at 19:01:33

Gez   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi all
Superb web site with lots of info & photos. I've been sifting my way through lots of information but i've not uncovered alot about the showband im researching.
I am currently preparing a 'this is your life' for my eldest sister who loved the showband era and is a time she has fond memories of.
I've been unable to find out much about her first showband experiance - Chris lamb and the unversals. If anyone knows anything about them, has any phtos, or can point me in the right direction of any of the band members i would be very grateful.
Thanking you in anticipation
Gez

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 03/06/07 at 20:31:04

Tiptop   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Know very little about Chris Lamb and The Universals, apart from the facts (a) made at least one single (b) Chris Lamb died some years ago. Don't have any photos or info on band members. Sorry.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 03/06/07 at 20:43:47

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Hi, A member of this forum played with  Chris Lambe at one time. The member's name is Barry.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 03/07/07 at 11:26:05

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi Gez,

I'm afraid I can be of no help regarding The Universals. Chris led a number of bands and I was a member of one of them.
May be a long shot but as far as I know Chris's brother Robert 'Bobby' Lambe is alive and well and living  in Cork.
Bobby is an internationally renowned composer/arranger. As a trombone player he worked with Frank Sinatra, Woody Herman and many other top names.
I'm sure if you Google' Bobby Lambe Trombone' you will be able to track him down.  He spent most of his musical career in te US so he may not know a great deal about the showband days but worth a try.

Sorry I can't be of more help

btw Chris sometimes spelled his surname Lambe, I'm not sure at this remove which is the correct spelling. Good luck with the 'Big Red Book'

regards

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 03/07/07 at 16:19:15

alpineseven   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Dublin

The only known record by Chris Lamb & The Universals is Mysterious Land / If You Ask Me on Decca F 12176 from 65 The band  later released a single with a guy called Gidian & The Universals but not sure if Chris was involved with this.The tracks for the single are Feeling / Dont Be Sentimental  on Columbia DB 8041 from 66.Note the spelling Lamb without the E.Hope this is of some help.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 03/12/07 at 11:09:33

Gez   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Thank you all very much one and all !

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 04/20/08 at 19:55:40
rocknroll60s   Ex Member

Hi, I just came across your post while I was searching for info. on Chris Lamb and the Universals.
I use to sing with the band in 1965 for almost a year. Then I left, did other gigs ...came back to the States and went back to England in 67' ..did a few more gigs with Chris and left again. The first time I met Chris, it was my first time to England. I was 19yrs. old and I went from Liverpool, where I sang at the Blue Angel (Alan Williams) was my manager for a short time and then he got me bookings in London.  Met Chris and I stayed with him and his wife for a few months. I remember his daughter Joy. She was just a few years old.
I have a picture of me and the Universals on my site at
www.myspace.com/edieandrews.com if you care to see it.  Let me hear from you. I want to make sure you get this post.
Peace! Wink
« Last Edit: 04/22/08 at 03:00:50 by N/A »  
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 04/22/08 at 03:09:45
rocknroll60s   Ex Member

Someone here mentioned about Chris and the Universals making one recording...I made a recording with them back in 1965 ...All I remember is it was a Beatles song and the recording studio in London...well, can't remember that either. But I do remember doing the songs.
At this time, the band consisted of 7 members plus myself. If you go to my web site you will see the members names on the photo card we had made.  www.myspace.com/edieandrews.  I would like to be able to find a few of thos guys..especially Brian on trombone, he and I would talk a lot. Those guys were all a bunch of great musicians. We had fun on the road throughout England. We played many times at the Hammersmith Oden for Top Rank.
Hope to hear from some musicians who knew Chris or band members.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print