Send Topic Print
Dermot O'Brien (Read 7782 times)
05/22/07 at 17:59:32

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
The history of Irish music
is a continuing journey
Sligo, Ireland

A friend of mine called me from Spain this morning after hearing on the online versoin of RTE's sports news that Dermot O'Brien had passed away. Dermot was a good friend to the website and had sent me several emails detailing parts of his career, but he had not been well for some time, even though he still was playing gigs in the United States. The original Merry Ploughboy was one of the earliest "crossover"  bands as his accordion playing and smooth vocals made the jump to the ballroom scene with ease. His Clubmen were one of the early successful showbands, although Dermot eventually emigrated to the States where he lived and continued to play and record until his death. Our heartfelt condolences go out to Dermot's family and friends. He will be missed. Strangely enough, my last email to Dermot was asking if he knew Richie Fitzgerald, another accordion great with whom I played. He said he had met him a time or two, but they were not friends. Now both of them are gone and Ireland's musical heritage is a little bleaker for it.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 05/22/07 at 18:01:56

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Dermot certainly was a good one. RIP.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 05/22/07 at 23:40:28

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sad to  hear of Dermot's passing. We have lost a fine musician and great Irishman. All Ireland medal winner and fluent in his native language he effortlessly crossed the divide between trad' and commercial music without ever losing his integrity....... Talent will always prevail.

Sleep well Dermot

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 05/23/07 at 00:55:15

whistle   Offline
Journeyman Musician
while you work
Kerry

I can't believe that just 24 hours ago on another thread called "Re: Dermot O'Brien Illness" I asked if anyone had heard how DOB was,  then this morning I hear he has passed away.

Dermot was one of the gentlemen of the music business.  Talented and hard working, he was popular with everyone he met or worked with.  He was full of energy, and carried people along with him with his great enthusiasm.  I was in my  late teens or early twenties when I first met Dermot, and I learnt a thing or two from him!

I never learnt to play the box, tho...

May he rest in peace.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 05/23/07 at 21:10:45

Tiptop   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sad news, another showband great depated this life. Great musician, talented producer Dermot O'Brien R.I.P.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 05/23/07 at 22:25:23

whistle   Offline
Journeyman Musician
while you work
Kerry

Yeah Tiptop, glad you mentioned "producer". A lot of people were aware of Dermot's sporting and on-stage performer achievements, but he produced and arranged gazillions of singles and albums in studio  for the Release Record Label through the 70s.

Whistle

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print