Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Television Series - help needed (Read 54794 times)
01/23/08 at 20:48:22

archiveunit   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Dear all, I'm involved in a new RTÉ television series which will celebrate the Showband era and hope that some of the members of this website might be able to help me locate one of the stars from that time. I'm hoping to make contact with Tina of Tina and The Mexicans and unfortunately have been given a few telephone numbers and addresses which are all now out of date. I would greatly appreciate anyone getting in touch if they know where she's based now. You can reply to this message or email me directly on eanya.gallagher@rte.ie Thank You!

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 03/12/08 at 02:36:34

danny   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Lancashire

I have just become a member of this community and seen your post so sorry if this is a bit late. In the late 1960 around '69-'70 Muriel Day, the female lead vocal of the Dave Glover Showband had a television series. I thing it was for BBC N I. There were a lot of showbands on as guests and BBC may have archive footage. It's worth a try. I have never been able to find out if they have. The reason I have looked is I was lead guitar and male vocalist with the band when they split up. I did the last 4 or 5 gigs Dave had to do with my own 4 peice called Roadhouse. let me know if you have any luck. Thanks, Danny Wilson

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 09/24/08 at 14:30:32

cursedanna22   Offline
Music Student
I Love YaBB 2!

Hello Eanya,
I noticed your email on the Irish Showbands site and thought I would drop you a line.

I'm the manager & agent of Jonathan Kelly, Jonathan's real name is Jonathan Ledingham and under this name and more often simply Jon Ledingham he was very popular in Ireland and made several records. He was signed to Tom Costello and apart from recording himself he also wrote songs for other artists, such as the 'Greenbeats' & Johnny McEvoy and many others. Jonathan was born in Drogheda and starting touring in showbands from an early age, he was a member of the Drogheda based Viceroys Showband but played in several others such as his own band the Bee Vee's before he went solo.

In 1969 he moved to London where he was spotted by the Bee Gee's drummer Colin Petersen who signed him up and changed his name to Jonathan Kelly. Jonathan was signed to Parlophone Records and released several singles and an album, but real popularity came after he stole the Cambridge Folk Festival in 1971 and shortly after was signed to RCA records and released his most famous album "Twice Around The Houses" many famous musicians worked for him including Eric Clapton & Gary Moore and his popularity grew and grew, he released several albums and singles and made many TV appearances such as Top Of The Pops and the Old Grey Whistle Test, he also appeared on IRISH TV shows and shows in Germany and other countries, however due to the effects of Drugs and various family problems, he became disillusioned with the music industry and retired in 1976.

No known footage is know to exsist of Jonathan, nor any audio from his time in Ireland, if I can be of any help to you please don't hesitate to contact me.
Regards
Gerald

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print