Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ronnie Drew passes away (Read 4656 times)
08/16/08 at 16:55:10

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
The history of Irish music
is a continuing journey
Sligo, Ireland

Ronnie Drew, a legend of the Irish entertainment scene lost his long battle with cancer today and sadly passed away at 2:10 p.m. we have been informed by former Sands guitarist Bobby Kelly, who was with Ronnie in St. Vincent's hospital when he died. Bobby also played guitar with Ronnie in the 1980's. After bursting onto the Irish and international scene with the Dubliners in the early 1960's, Ronnie was one of the key figures in the Irish folk revival. In recent years Ronnie toured as a solo artist and performed in a variety of other artists in the last decade including the Pogues and Christy Moore. Last year Ronnie's wife, Deidre passed away after a short battle with cancer, after she cared for her husband through his illness. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Ronnie's children, friends and fans across Ireland.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 08/17/08 at 12:50:33

smith   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

It is with great sadness that I have learned of the death of Ronnie Drew. He will be very much missed.
                         Smith

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 08/17/08 at 13:04:52

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Can't say much when a legend like Ronnie Drew leaves the stage for the last time. May he Rest in Peace and condolences to his family and oceans of friends and fans.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print