Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Death of Mickey O'Neill (Read 5737 times)
06/27/10 at 14:05:11

woodyallen   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Belfast

I was shocked and saddened to hear of the death of mickey O'Neill in Las Vegas. Mickey was a good friend of mine when we played together in the Idaho showband 1968/1970 and appeared with us on opportunity Knocks in 1969. Mickey was a real character as well as a brilliant drummer and livened up many a long journey with his antics. Joe Williams the legendary vocalist with the Count Basie orchestra once called Mickey '' big ears'' when Mickey and myself had the privelege of backing him during a tour of American bases in Germany. He meant that Mickey was quick to learn the songs, once through and that was it. A fitting tribute to a great drummer and personality who will long be remembered by all who knew him.
My sincere sympathies go out to Mary and family at this sad time. RIP
« Last Edit: 06/27/10 at 22:13:02 by woodyallen »  
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 07/10/10 at 22:58:30

Bobalexander   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I would like to add my feeling of shock and sadness at learning of the death of Mickey O'Neill. I met Mickey when we both turned up to audition for the resident band in the Carousel Club in Manchester. We were both hired and soon after Mickey got me into his digs. We used to go to the movies on our nights off and we often went for a pint afterwards although he never drank himself.
We both joined the Idaho the following year (it was a revisit in my case) and saw a lot of action in Germany and Libya as well as Opportunity Knocks. I will second "woody allen" in confirming that Mickey was one of the funniest people I have ever known, as well as being a supremely talented drummer. I have researched the Showband Scene a lot and I have never seen someone turn up in so many photos of great bands. The Capitol, The Great Eight, The Great Seven-he was in them all.  I only shared a couple of years with him but I have never forgotten him. God Bless-Mickey

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 07/17/10 at 10:40:44

castleblayney   Offline
I Love YaBB 2!

We are having a funeral mass in Castleblayney on the 19th August with Fr.Brian Darcy at 11am. Im sure Mickeys many friends will be with us in spirit, at this very special time. Sincerely, Gerry Black, brother in law.
and Mary ONeill Black ,sister of beloved Mickey. Castleblayney.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print