Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
M.A. Local History: Rise and Decline of Ballrooms (Read 8396 times)
10/25/10 at 17:30:05

Sํle Healy   Offline
I Love YaBB 2!

[font=Comic Sans MS][/font]
I am currently pursuing a M.A. in Local History on a part-time basis over 2 years. I have chosen as the topic for my thesis; the rise and decline of Ballrooms in Cork City and County 1920-1980.

My parents were devoted attendees of the dancehalls in The Lilac Ballroom in Enniskeane and The Montrose in Coolcower (near Macroom) both of which are now car showrooms and have inspired me to record the inportant contribution these buildings made to Irish Society.

I am particularly interested in the following:
1. Platforms - openair dancing - the pre-cursor to Ballrooms.

2. Construction: Built by communities or groups (e.g. the Lucey Brothers) type of construction materials used, how was their building financed in each location. The design and layout, similarities and differences by region.

3. Management: How were they managed? Difficulties in sercuring a licence under the 1935 dancehalls act.

4. Religion and Law and order: How members of Religious Communities e.g. R.C. priest marshalled events and 'upheld' morality. I am also interested in public order offences that occured in direct relation to dances held.

5. Social Aspect - I would like to show the social aspect of dancehalls, the romances, the importance of the presence of Ballrooms to the local community.

6. Showbands - the bands that played, their loyal followers

6. Change of use - which ballrooms remain in existence, which ones are demolished, what let to their rapid decline, of the ballrooms that survive how many are converted to other uses such as car showrooms etc.

I would greatly appreciate and acknowledge any information received and I would ideally like to interview persons regarding their experiences and memories of these wonderful institutions. I am also interested in any pictures or showband postcards that people may have.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print