irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dermot O'brien (Read 30350 times)
10/06/11 at 14:19:22

tommyg29   Offline
I Love YaBB 2!

Greetings all. I joined this site on Oct 5 2011. The artist I checked out was Dermot O'brien, and I noticed some inaccuracies in his biography but was delighted to find out new information concerning Dermot. This morning when I logged on the site wouldn't send me to Dermot's profile, so that I could refer to it when making suggestions. I was privileged to be on Dermot's final tours of Ireland in 2002 and 2003. My family emigrated from Ireland to Canada in the late 1960's, so over the years, it was difficult to piece together Dermot's discography. One album I noticed missing from the forum was his 1969/1970 country album "Listen, They're playing my song," on the Envoy record label.  Another album missing ( probably his first) was "Music of Ireland-Dermot O'brien and his quartet play ceili music. This was recorded in the U.S. in 1962 on the Spoken Arts label. I don't think "Dermot O'brien" BRL 4103 was listed either. When I had the chance to query Dermot on his discography, his memory didn't serve him well. I don't recall his last great album recorded in Ireland in 1983, Girl from Clare. I had heard he recorded a single, "County Louth". I have never heard it. Does anyone know if he wrote and recorded "The Blue Hills of Breffni" I"m running out of time this morning, so one last correction. He captained Louth for the All Ireland GAA in 1957. As I am a serious fan of Dermot's music, I would appreciate information about recordings I have missed, like the ones I have mentioned. I would really appreciate a copy. I am willing to share some of the live recordings I made in 2002-2003 as a token of gratitude(or any of the others I mentioned). His level of musical mastery in these recordings is breathtaking especially at the age he was at the time(71-72) I can be reached at tommyg109@gmail.com. Hope to get some feedback. Saol se go hiontach............ tommy...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print