Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Spotlight poll 1974 (Read 7993 times)
03/01/16 at 19:03:50

brad jones   Offline
I Love YaBB 2!

Hello!  I wonder if anyone can help out with this query?  It concerns the UK pop/rock group 'The Sweet' and the 1974 New Spotlight readers poll.  The small amount of information I have goes like this:

Sweet flew to Ireland to receive a New Spotlight poll award, the trophy actually bearing the date of 1974.  Under the misapprehension that they had won outright, upon recieving the award it became clear that they were in fact second.

This is how it was told to me and I have also seen a photo of one of the awards (I think group members recieved one each?).

Questions:
1. Being a British band, would this automatically mean that Sweet could only qualify for the 'Favorite International Group' category?

2. If this were the case, could winning this award in effect be viewed as being placed second by a non Irish group?

3. As far as I'm aware, the annual results were announced in January of each year, voting coupons being available towards the end of the previous year.  So, would  the 1974 trophy have been awarded at the beginning of 1974, reflecting popularity in 1973, or, perhaps, in early 1975 on the back of 1974's popularity?

4. And lastly, can anyone confirm that the event for the '1974' award was held in Dublin's TV Club?

Many thanks

Brad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print