Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
dancehall  memories (Read 69592 times)
05/08/04 at 22:28:52

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

Dancehalls in Ireland were far more relaxed than those controlled by the Mecca circuit in Britain which were all very similar,people were out there to enjoy themselves after the pubs had closed,have a dance or two,talk to the bands afterwards.Bandswere much more versatile,a lot of musicians sang as well as the lead vocalists,in Britain,this was not the case, usually it was just the singers who sang.You could listen to the pure country genius of Ray Lynam  or dance  to a good pop showband such as The Champions ,or follow your favourite band, a good night was always guaranteed!

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 05/11/04 at 01:59:33

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
The history of Irish music
is a continuing journey
Sligo, Ireland

What was your local ballroom? Is it still open today? Have the ballrooms in  England that played Irish bands in the "good old days" suffered the same fate as their Irish counterparts?

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 05/11/04 at 21:55:29

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

My local venue where I  used to see showbands was St Patricks Club in Leicester,now sadly no more but I did visit the Shamrock Ballroom  in Birmingham,which also has disappeared,both had many memories for me.The Galteymore in London another favourite of mine is the sole survivor of the many showband venues in London.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 05/19/04 at 21:19:09

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
The history of Irish music
is a continuing journey
Sligo, Ireland

I see that the Indians play in England regularly: Fri, May 28th at Monaco Ballroom, Wigan, England; Sat, May 29th at Angel Theatre, Rendlesham, England; Sun, May 30th at Embassy Theatre, Skegness, England. Are they one of just a few bands that tour England or are there a lot of bands coming over more regularly from Ireland?

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 05/19/04 at 21:51:12

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

Most of Irelands top showbands visit Britain,to play at the Galteymore Ballroom in London every Saturday including  veterans such as Brendan Shine and the Conquerors.From time to time they also play Irish Social Clubs such as Corby Irish Centre and festivals such as the Woking Irish Festival in  Surrey.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 01/10/05 at 03:47:41

seenthescene   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

One of my fondest memories are of a regular Sunday night dance in St.Clares Hall Glenavy. We all had a surprise that night. Unknown to anyone the Dubliners made a surprise appearance. "Seven Drunken Nights" was high in the charts and there they were singing it live in front of us. They only stayed for a couple of songs and were on their way.
I never did get another chance to see them live again.  Shocked

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 08/27/05 at 00:53:33

nosey   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Embassy Ballroom Castleblaney every Sunday night where love stories began. Young famers lined the back wall in there black wellies on a summers evening to catch the last few songs of the night.  Met my first love in the Embassy (not one of the famers I might add) happy days.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 02/01/06 at 04:04:55

valerie_davenport   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
cockermouth,cumbria, uk

hi from the lake district uk, three  hotel/dancehall place`s that I know of  in my part of the country who played host to some of the best night`s I can remember ,  the sandpiper at allenby where I first saw the cotten mill boy`s, with two other band`s what night that was really magic Smiley, has sadly burnt down and is no more, due to an electrical fault. Sad. the white heather hotel  (was on an old airfield) again I saw the cotten mill boy`s there on a few ocasion`s and had the best night`s of my life Grin is still there. moota motel on the carlise road, I saw a few country and western act`s there mainly local one`s, has closed down and due to be knocked down, due to bancruptcy. Sad.  Valerie

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 02/17/06 at 02:31:06

beejay   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I remember one night being at a marquee outside a certain large town in Co. Donegal . Big Tom was there ( I do,nt know why i was there!!) but to cut a long story short the main electricity wire that powered the whole sheebang was ran up to the local pub and plugged into the wall across the floor. Some oul, fella was heading for the jacks and he tripped on the wire and out came the plug , just when Tom was singing something , Boy did he do us all a favour , that oul fella!!

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 02/17/06 at 11:42:16

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Beejay, That's not very charitable. I agree with you though. He did everyone a big favour.
What were you doing there anyway Grin

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 02/17/06 at 13:19:37

beejay   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Liamo:  If you had a heard the type of music i heard that night , " Well lad ! i,ll leave the rest up to your own imagination"By the was the same night i was standing up against the side of the tent and all of a sudden, i felt the back of me leg getting very wet ..and hot , and it was,nt GLOBAL WARMING either!!.... ??? ???

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 02/17/06 at 14:51:13

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

So THAT was called MUSIC. A very loose use of the term. Thanks Beejay. I often wondered about that but was embarrased to ask anyone.
Good job for you the "Global Warmer" wasn't facing away from the tent. You could have really been in SH+T. Grin

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 02/17/06 at 21:26:04

Tiptop   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

It seems to be the in thing to take a swipe at Big Tom. Tom is one the finest entertainters to grace the ballrooms of Ireland. A true gentleman who is still drawing the crowds and this at a time when many of his contemporaries wouldn't draw enough people to fill a telephone box. Let's all put our shoulders to wheel and organise a petition to get Pat Kenny and the Late Late Show to honour rhe big man with a Late Late Special. My favourite ballrom the Ard Ri in Manchester.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 02/18/06 at 00:55:42

beejay   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

God Almighty man, sure he,d hardly go down Castleblaney Street , to attend a function in his honour , How the hell would he make it to the Late Late? If he ever appears on the show i,ll bet you one thing. There,ll be No free CD,s for EVERYONE IN THE AUDIENCE!!  He,s as tight as a Camels Ass in a Sandstorm! Grin

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 02/18/06 at 01:45:07

smith   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi Tiptop
   I agree with everything you said about Big Tom.  I saw him in The Lavey Inn Co Cavan August 2005 . He Is still drawing the crowds and singing great as ever.  His latest CD "The Same Way You Came In " Is the most requested song on the radio for the past year.   Your favourite ballroomThe Ardri in Manchester is no more Cry there is now a block of flats on the site.  St Kentigerns Social Club in Manchester is now the place to be Smiley
                  Smith

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print