Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
dancehall  memories (Read 69598 times)
Reply #15 - 02/19/06 at 13:09:02

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Everone's entitled to their opinion and taste. Personally, if it was me, I'd go out the "same way as I came in".

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 02/19/06 at 19:06:43

beejay   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

We had a saying "If you could,nt score at a Big Tom or a Larry Cunningham Dance , Then forget it!". All the dancing was that "Shoulder up Shoulder down stuff" Can you imagine Tom singing  "The HUCKLEBUCK? " Thats , righ t, you would,nt want to. or Cunningham singing " The Holy City"?
I heard him do Little Rosa wan night . Jimmy steps up to the mike " And now Larry,s going to SING a monologue , Little Rosa" Christ preserve us , and we paid 10 bob to get in to hear crap like that!!

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 08/30/06 at 15:44:22

country_girl_mags   Offline
Part Time Player
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

My favourite ballroom was the Starlight in clones co monaghah. i enjoyed all the bands. larry cunning was my no 1 and johnny mcevoy. i still go to hear the bands in the lavey inn. i now follow gary gamble a new lad on the road. he is great sings very like daniel o donnell so if you hear he is near were you live go to one of his shows and let me know what you think

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 09/20/06 at 01:52:27

smith   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi Country-girl-mags
  Glad that you enjoy the gigs at The Lavey Inn.  Seamus keeps the scene alive in Cavan by booking all the big bands.  I remember before The Lavey Inn was built a marquee would be erected every year for six weeks on the site where The Lavey Inn now stands for The Lavey Strand Carnival.  As a child I would look forward to the marquee going up it was a great place to go instead of school I would spend all day in the tent sliding up and down the floor with my brothers and we would collect all the photos of the band that had played there the night before.
                      smith
« Last Edit: 09/20/06 at 11:03:22 by smith »  
IP Logged

Reply #19 - 09/20/06 at 20:10:31

country_girl_mags   Offline
Part Time Player
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

have you still got your photo you collected do you know eddie owens
and top gear

IP Logged

Reply #20 - 09/20/06 at 22:47:02

smith   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi Country-Girl-Mags
     Yes I know Eddie Owens he is from Upper Lavey.  I have two of his CDs  the one he recorded withTop Gear to raise funds for The Holy Family School In Coothill and "The Best Of Eddie Owens"  Some of the photos we collected are still around some are on the website.
                      Smith

IP Logged

Reply #21 - 10/07/06 at 21:44:00

athbob   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

The best Irish dancehall here in Manchester was the Carousel. I still remember the worst night was when I ordered a pint of Guiness and it was like 'nectar'.
Went back for another pint and they had run out.

Great bands though, Royal, Miami, Hoedowners, Jim Farley, Johnny Flynn, Swingtigtime Aces, Royal Blues, Savoy etct.

IP Logged

Reply #22 - 11/13/06 at 09:15:53

ronnie   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Anyone remember Adamstown?  It was the place to be on a Sunday night in the 70s.   Or anyone remember the Olympic in Dublin?

IP Logged

Reply #23 - 11/13/06 at 10:19:36

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

Cheesy Cheesy CheesyHi Ronnie,Those were great days,yes I  Remember the Olympic,it was a nice dance hall,saw one of my fav bands there New Blues,still keep in touch with some of them,one of whom is a penpal.Best Wishes,Pete.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print