Send Topic Print
Green County Line-up (Read 17462 times)
01/10/06 at 20:07:50

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!
Northamptonshire, England

Hi!
Can anyone remember any of the the line-up of Roly Daniels' Green County ('73-'74) especially the drummer (the cute one-that was!)? They were a great band.
Look forward to hearing from anyone with info
Thanks
Trish
« Last Edit: 01/15/06 at 19:09:13 by Trish »  

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them!
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 01/23/06 at 00:24:03

Rusty   Offline
Showband
KEEP HER LIT !!
Sligo Ireland

Keyboard player was paddy kelly from donegal.

Keepin it live!! --Nearly!!
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 03/21/06 at 14:52:56

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi Trish,
The line up of the original Green County was as follows; Jim Farley (Bandleader/Sax)
Roly Daniels (Lead Vocals)
Paul Duffy (Trumpet/Keyboards)
Francie  Hughes (Trombone)
Dermot Woodfull (Lead Guitar)
Barry Scully (Bass Guitar)
Martin Brannigan (Drums)

With the exception of Dermot Woodful who was tragically killed In Canada some years ago all of us are still playing.
Jim has his own band as is doing very well on the corporate circuit. Paul now lives in the US and is still active. Francie is in the National Sympony Orchestra. As for me, I divide my musical life between Bee Bop Gold and the Dickie Rock Band. 'Cute' Martin is still going strong, he too plays the corporate circuit with some ex members of the Sands Showband. We worked together a couple of years ago with Dickie on a Golf/Entertainment trip to Portugal and he is playing as well as ever.

Hope this helps

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 03/21/06 at 20:54:28

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!

Hi Barry,
Thanks for all the info. Although many of the names in the band sound familar, the drummer I'm thinking of left the band to live in England (London?). Do you remember the 24hr petrol station outside Kinnegad? Yes, it's many years ago.... all the bands called in there. My family owned it.
Trish

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 03/21/06 at 22:06:55

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi Trish,

Yes I remember the Kinnegad filling station well. Your Dad/Grandad ??was quite  a character. Stopping there on the way home was always an experience.
As to the Green County lineup. There were a lot of changes in that band over a short period of time so maybe we're speaking of a different drummer. I assumed you were referring to Martin as he was the guy in the band who was most popular with the fairer sex.

rgds

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 03/22/06 at 17:57:28

Graham_Hughes   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi Guys,

My Dad is Francis Hughes. He was in the Green County & Jim Farleys band before that. There is a pic on this site of the Green County band listing some gigs from 1971 in the pic. One of the dates is Enniscrone. My mum mentioned a few weeks ago that was the night Mum & Dad met. Would you know how to contact the site owners so I could possibly get a print of the pic. Its their anniversary next month.

Tks. Graham.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 03/22/06 at 22:22:39

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi Graham,

Say hello to your Dad for me.

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 03/23/06 at 20:53:07

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!

Hi Barry,
There's quite a few pics of the band on this site. Some familar faces, some not. It was my Dad who owned the 'station' & yes, quite a character! As a teenager, I worked there, often staying up til gone 3am to chat to the bands coming through...Our fave dance place was 'Heatherville'. As in the words of a Roly song..'In the good old days'
Trish

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 03/24/06 at 14:12:30

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi Trisha,

I remember your Dad very well. One of my memories is that he always wore a sailors cap at a  rakish angle and seemed to have a great stroke of 'divilment' in him.
He was also a shrewd businessman. If you didn't buy petrol from him on the outward journey you would be wasting your time giving him a knock on the way home. In his own way he was a bit of a pioneer viz a viz the all night Service Station game. If memory serves I remember purchasing  a most welcome bottle of beer in the middle of the night at your Dad.'s little oasis.

Rgards

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 07/26/06 at 12:40:33

thomasmatthew   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi Trisha
The line up of the Green County in '73-'74 was
Roly Daniels lead vocals
Jim Farely sax and clarinet
Sean Gallagher bass
Francie Hughes trombone
Dessie McDonald trumpet
Billy Donaldson guitar
Tommy O'Flaherty drums
I remember stopping in Kinnegad on the way back from the west of Ireland and I remember you dad.
I  am not so cute now after 32 years in London but I am still playing drums and singing in my pub in Harrow in Middlesex.
Good to hear from people from a great era.
Happy Anniversary to Francie Hughes and his wife Maria (I think that was her name) would love to hear from anyone I played with or knew back then.
If anyone sees Martin Brannigan ask him to visit this site, himself, Mickey O'Neill and Jeff who played with Tweed were the best drummers around at the time. If you read this and know any of the boys from the Green County please tell them about it.
Looking forward to getting some replies.
Tommy O'Flaherty

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 07/27/06 at 20:03:35

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi Tommy,

Spoke to Martin on the  phone today. He was delighted to hear yoiu were asking for him. I gave him the address of this site and he said he'd be in touch.

regards

Barry Scully

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 07/31/06 at 21:09:30

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!

Hi Tommy,
Great to hear from you, also thanks for the line-up as I really remember it. Welcome to the forum..
Trisha

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 08/02/06 at 05:04:06

branno   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

TRISH,        TOMMY O'FLAHERTY WAS THE BEST LOOKING DRUMMER IN THE BIZ, MORE HANDSOME THAN "CUTE".
WE ALL REMEMBER THE "CAPTAIN'S" PETROL STATION IN KINNEGAD WITH AFFECTION.WE USED TO LOOK FORWARD TO A BEER OR SIX AT 6A.M. ON THE WAY BACK FROM MAYO OR WORSE. YOUR FATHER WAS CALLED "THE CAPTAIN" BECAUSE OF HIS FAMOUS NAUTICAL CAP. BARRY AND I WOULD HAVE BEEN REGULAR CUSTOMERS AND PROBABLY BOUGHT PETROL AS WELL!
MARTIN,THE OTHER DRUMMER..

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 08/02/06 at 05:23:11

branno   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

TOMMY, SEND ME A POST CARD,DROP ME A LINE.
MARTIN.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 08/02/06 at 16:30:49

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!

Hiya Martin,
It's great that so many people remember our garage & my father. We enjoyed chatting to you guys at all hours of the day & night. The guys & gals of the showband scene made it all worthwhile. Thanks.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print