Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Eurovision (Read 10562 times)
05/21/06 at 22:40:07

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Isn't it about time the organisers of the Eurovision SONG contest remembered what it's about. It started as a Song contest, it still claims to be a SONG contest, but to my mind is anything but a SONG contest. ???
More power to the group from Finland who won. Surely they could have performed their song without doing the Halloween version Grin

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 05/21/06 at 22:48:02

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!
Northamptonshire, England

I was wondering when someone would remark about that. The Finnish group looked as if they had stepped out from Lord of the Rings (maybe they were the extra's - Grin).  I wonder if that's where the singer got his name from ('Lordi')? The likes of Butch, Dana, Dickie, Johnny & Co (good quality entertainment), wouldn't stand a chance now. Even if  Europe 'Rocks', I think my t.v. shook last night.... Wink

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them!
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 05/22/06 at 01:17:09

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

SmileyThe eurovision now has become too political, blocks of countries such as the balkan states and former warsaw pact countries have made it so,there was nothing wrong with Irelands song,which would have done well if it had been a proper song contest,instead of the finnish hard rock band and the latvian chant which should have got no votes.Maybe RTE and the Beeb should get together and organise a proper song contest! Grin

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 05/22/06 at 02:06:11

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi All,

From an Irish standpoint it's not all bad news. At least we learned from last year's embarassment  by sending an experienced professional singer this time. The memory of last year's amateur Karaoke singers  still makes me cringe.

Regards

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 05/22/06 at 21:01:01

Tiptop   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I diagree re the panels verdict on Lordi and LT United and their performances in Eurovision. The Eurovison Song Contest was never about songs, it's all about presentation. If Eurovision is to continue it has to appeal to the under 35's.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 05/22/06 at 21:40:11

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

I agree Tiptop, it has to appeal to everyone. But it did start as a Song contest. Presentation etc. etc. became the yardsticks over time. It's poor, in my opinion, if a song has to depend on all these gimmicks and can't make it as a song. 8)

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 05/22/06 at 21:55:34

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!
Northamptonshire, England

Absolutely correct Liamo! Couldn't have put it better myself. The Eurovision got too poltical over the years even before the introduction of new countries. Also, why must it only appeal to the under 35's? Do over 40's not vote these days? Many of us remember the 'Song' Contest from the 1960's when it was a 'Song' Contest with no gimmicks (unless you count Sandie Shaw with no shoes), a gimmick!   Grin

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them!
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 05/23/06 at 02:24:47

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi All,

I've often spoken to Dickie Rock about what it was like when he represented Ireland with Come Back To Stay.
The singers were given clear instructions that no showmanship or any individual performing skills would be tolerated. It was strictly about the SONG. An X was marked on the floor of the stage and the singers were not allowed to move from this mark. They also had to occupy the stage alone. ie No Backing Singers, Dancers, People appearing from pianos etc etc.
My how times have changed.

Regards

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 05/23/07 at 22:28:30
luap   Ex Member

I got just came across this thread from last year.  Deja Vu!

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 05/26/07 at 13:02:37

Derek   Offline
Showband
dnbentertainmen t sole
management for Dickie
Ray
Benidorm

The only way to make it a proper song contest is to move it to Radio.   Time enough seeing the winners perform on TV when we know it is a good song.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 05/26/07 at 14:02:01

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Good idea Derek, however, realistically it's a non-starter. One thing is for sure. We need to get the basics right, i.e. Send a credible song with a professional singer/group to PERFORM it.
This year we were represented by a soporific, tuneless band of 'folkies' "singing"?  the most forgettable tune ever written. There are lots of professional songwriters/performers out there who, even if they didn't win, wouldn't embarrass the nation like this lot did.

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 06/10/07 at 13:55:46

Derek   Offline
Showband
dnbentertainmen t sole
management for Dickie
Ray
Benidorm

It's not quite a non strater Barry.  It really only needs to be judged by a panel with no visual assistance.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 06/10/07 at 19:37:16

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sorry Derek, thought you meant moving the whole thing to radio, not just the voting. As far as I can remember, that's the way it used to be done,  ie. the jurors didn't see the performers. They were sequestered in a TV free zone with only the sound to go on. Much better, in my view.

Barry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print