Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
QUESTION FOR ALL SHOWBAND HEADS (Read 25227 times)
08/24/06 at 20:37:24

alpineseven   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Dublin

WHAT SHOWBAND FROM THE 60s HAD AN IRISH TOP TEN HIT BUT IT WAS THE B SIDE WHICH WAS A HIT IN THE UK CHARTS ( GUINNESS BOOK OF HIT SINGLES ) AS I AM WELL AWARE OF ALL THE POP MAGS LIKE NME ,DISC, MM WHO ALL HAD THEIR OWN CHARTS. Shocked

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 08/24/06 at 21:21:45

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

It might have been Eileen Reid and The Cadets--Jealous Heart.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 08/24/06 at 21:42:58

alpineseven   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Dublin

It sure was .Yes Right Or wrong was a top 10 hit here and Jealous Heart spent just the one week at 42 in the Uk top 50 back in June of 65.Why it was flipped in the Uk is anyones guess. Grin

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 08/24/06 at 21:51:32

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

You'd wonder how or why such things happen.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 08/25/06 at 01:29:08

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!
Northamptonshire, England

I know the original question was about a showband, but Ireland did have some other representatives in the UK charts -Joe Dolan got to No.3 in '69, The Bachelors had many hits as did the Dubliners in the '60's. How many more acts got into the UK charts in the '60's - '70's, whether they be pop, folk, rock, whatever,?

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them!
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 08/25/06 at 01:59:59

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Another was Houston Wells and the Premier Aces with Only The Heartaches and Frankie McBride and the Polka Dots with Five Little Fingers.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 08/25/06 at 07:38:10

alpineseven   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Dublin

Lets not forget the first showband to break into the UK charts none other than Larry Cunningham & The Mighty Avons with his tribute to Jim Reeves back in 64 and also Demot O Brien with The Merry Ploughboy back in 66

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 08/25/06 at 21:10:28

alpineseven   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Dublin

Hey Liamo come on now will ya Houston Wells was not a showband singer back in 63 when Only The Heartaches was a hit in the UK and ireland.His group from 62 to 64 was The Marksmen also The Outlaws in 65 on one single who were also UK it was not until 66  that he charted  with The Premier Aces with Shutters and Boards .Incidentally his early singles were all produced by the ledgendary Joe Meek and are much sought after. Shocked

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 08/26/06 at 19:57:48

alpineseven   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Dublin

Sorry it was not as stated in my last mail Houston Wells & The Premier  Aces was actually Above And Beyond and not Shutters And Boards which made the Irish charts back in 66.
Me i blame the drink Shocked

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 08/26/06 at 20:48:57

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Probably the want of a drink with me. I want to check into something and may have a bit more to add.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 08/26/06 at 21:00:09

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

To add a bit to the above. In a previous edition of the Guinness Book, "Only The Heartaches" is credited to Houston Wells and the Plainsmen, vocalist Andrew Smith. I checked this out some time back and discovered that Houston Wells and the Marksmen were originally called Andy Smith and the Coasters. The Coasters were from Southend and Andy from Northumberland.
TP. That's Irish if I ever saw Irish Grin

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 08/26/06 at 22:35:48

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!

Also, to add to that...Andy and the Coasters had to change their name because of an American group of the same name in 1959.  Houston Wells and the Marksmen went to no. 18 in September 1963. Here's a bit of trivia for ya's....One of Houston's original line-up included none other than Chas (of Chas n Dave fame).

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 08/26/06 at 22:40:09

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!

I've also found out that Houston now lives in New Zealand....and before anyone says anything....Not in Texas! Grin

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 08/27/06 at 10:16:20

alpineseven   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Dublin

Yes indeed Chas Hodges was a member of The Outlaws who were originally Mike Berrys backing band another question has popped up checking up on Houston Wells after The Premier Aces he teamed up with The Trident Showband who according to his website had an Irish hit with Girl Of Independent Means / Hello Mary Lou the info i have on this singles is it was on Parlophone Dip 512 which makes it an Irish only release but i can,t find any mention of it in Larry Gogans book of Irish chart hits. ???

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 08/27/06 at 12:39:39

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

But sure TP, you must know that a lot of Irish Showbands had hits that weren't hits. According to themselves anway. Grin
It's like every book you look at it. They all claim to be his/her new bestseller even though they have only been published.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print