HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
folk groups (Read 2963 times)
10/31/06 at 09:24:47

ronnie   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Whatever happened to groups like We Four, EmmetSpiceland  and The Blarney Folk?  Just wondering they all remind me of the late 60s.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 12/09/06 at 01:30:52

Rusty   Offline
Showband
KEEP HER LIT !!
Sligo Ireland

Hi Ronnie,
Reminds me of the 60s as well even though I didnt start playing until the 70s but never mind.
Now, THOSE were the days -my friend!! Grin
As much as I love these "showband" guys on here I still have a soft spot for the Folk groups.The ones you mention are known to me but i have no idea where the guys are now. Paul Brady was in Emmett spiceland if I am not mistaken. I myself played for years in London with Dingle Spike who were the bees knees at the time and toured all over the world including a stint in East Germany-behind the iron curtain- before the wall came tumblin down.Now lets face it lads--the aul Folk groups knew how to party!!! In fact I can't believe we made this far,age wise I mean Ha Ha !! I am now in my early 50s and still gigging--with the help of my lovely daughter who steals the limelight from me every night we hit the stage.
But back to the folk groups in London or at least what i can remember of them. Groups like The Tinkers, the Fureys(still going)  would visit frequently, Barleycorn, Blackthorn, Irish Mist, Planxty, Sweeneys Men, the Grehan Sisters from Boyle Co Roscommon, all toured england and Ireland in those days,
And the Folk festivals were something else to behold. Ballisadare in Sligo was one of my favourites, Letterkenny was another. Christy Moore on Tour !!
The london folk clubs was a great scene in those days, Mike Harding, Steeleye Span, the list goes on.
Had a few pints after a gig one night with Richard Digance who told me his electricity had just been cut off because he couldnt afford the bill. A few years later when i moved back to ireland i was delighted to see him with his own tv show and had just been nominated for a BAFTA award--Thats Showbusiness!!  I met Christy Hennessy a few times in london and done a few gigs. He had given up  the music completely and was painting houses for a living at the time.But a few short years later he is back with his daughter on stage and never looked back since.The show must go on!!! 8)

Keepin it live!! --Nearly!!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print