Send Topic Print
Glenfarne (Read 11235 times)
12/24/06 at 22:44:05

noman34   Offline
Showband
"Live Long and Prosper"
Walsall

Here goes,
Who has been to or, remembers `The Ballroom of Romance` in Glenfarne?

There is too much Hate in the World. Love (any kind of Love) is fine by me.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 01/02/07 at 22:03:21

caite_rainey   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

We meet again, I have been there twice when I had a crush on a certain fellow who I knew danced there, I rember attending on a wednesday night big Tom was playing we had to walk almost a half of mile to reach the ballroom, or could we call it that.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 01/02/07 at 22:38:35

whistle   Offline
Journeyman Musician
while you work
Kerry

so was it the lad you had a crush on, or Big Tom & The Mainliners that  had ye walking (in your bare feet?) all those miles?

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 01/06/07 at 00:37:37

caite_rainey   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Not Big Tom anyhow

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 05/21/07 at 23:38:20

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi All,

I remember the Rainbow and it's redoubtable promoter/Master of Ceremonys John McGivern very well. When I was a member of Gene and the Gents back in the 60s' we played there on a regular basis. The high spot of the evening would be when John, resplendant in dress suit and bow tie would take to the stage to announce the latest engagements/marriages which had been brought about, (according to John) by visiting his ballroom. When he was finished he would always announce the next number the band was going to play. In doing this he always tried to add his own little touch. To give you an example of John's unique style.... One particular night having finished his little speech, he turned to our sax player and asked "Well Jimmy (he called everybody Jimmy) What are you going to play"? "La Paloma" was the whispered response "Okay everyone" boomed John "Lap it up with La Paloma"!!

regards

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 02/27/09 at 18:39:30

Oakwood11   Offline
I Love YaBB 2!

Ah God be with the good old days...manys the good night i'd there when in my youth.... Smiley and those Glenfarne lads  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print