Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
They say that Naas... (Read 20197 times)
01/02/07 at 17:10:58
luap   Ex Member

"They say that Naas is a terrible place,
And Kilmuckeridge is just as bad,
But of all the places I've ever been,
Well, f**k me, Kinnegad..."
There's a rumour that Gabriel Byrne (the actor) wrote this little ditty, but I heard it in the 70s from musos many times.
Although it must have been written before the famous filling station in Kinnegad began to stay open late at night, and welcomed the weary minstrels on their journey back to the capital, with coffee, food and most important, a smile!

PS - with apologies to all who live(d) in that pleasant little town....

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 01/02/07 at 20:57:08

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!
Northamptonshire, England

Hi 'luap',
I'm sure the good townsfolk of Kinnegad are used to that little verse by now. Besides, how many towns in Ireland rhyme with 'bad'? There had to be.... one!!  Wink
On a different note, I was saddened to be told & then read about the closure of the 'Filling Station' on the 6th December 2006. We waited for years for that by-pass. The 'original' plan (as we knew it) was that the by-pass would meet up with the Athlone Rd just before it got to our 'station'. But it got by-passed as well.
I grew up there and we got to meet some of the finest people in Ireland. Sure, not everyone 'got on' with my father's way of doing things. But I'd like to think that he offered more than just a service as well, not just petrol & diesel, to all that came in at all hours of the day & night. Our main customers at night times were, of course, the Showbands. To those I would just like to say 'Thanks for the memories'.

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them!
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 11/04/07 at 18:21:35

whistle   Offline
Journeyman Musician
while you work
Kerry

Trish wrote on 01/02/07 at 20:57:08:
Hi 'luap',
On a different note, I was saddened to be told & then read about the closure of the 'Filling Station' on the 6th December 2006. We waited for years for that by-pass. The 'original' plan (as we knew it) was that the by-pass would meet up with the Athlone Rd just before it got to our 'station'. But it got by-passed as well.
I grew up there and we got to meet some of the finest people in Ireland. Sure, not everyone 'got on' with my father's way of doing things. But I'd like to think that he offered more than just a service as well, not just petrol & diesel, to all that came in at all hours of the day & night. Our main customers at night times were, of course, the Showbands. To those I would just like to say 'Thanks for the memories'. 

This post is very interesting - I went to Movies @Dundrum Saturday to see Pat Shortt's superb new film,
GARAGE  I think you'd like it, Trisha (although not suggesting that your bright, welcoming station was anything like the garage in the film!)
It's an excellent film, and shows that ireland has the talen to produce superb movies in Ireland, and about Ireland.  I'd recommend it to all.

Whistle

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print