Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Barry Scully R.I.P. (Read 14071 times)
12/10/07 at 22:17:56

alpineseven   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Dublin

Sad to report that Barry Scully passed away today.
May he rest in peace.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 12/10/07 at 23:57:26

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

That's a real shock for me. I never met Barry but we had become great friends in the last year or more on skype and e-mails . A real gentleman. May he rest in peace.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 12/11/07 at 00:15:52

mozart   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Dublin

I have worked with Barry most of my life in the business,with Dickie Rock and many others ,I will miss him ,for his great intellect and wit,and friendship,and I wish to offer my condolences to his wife and Family.
my god bless him.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 12/12/07 at 00:18:18

vestal   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

So sorry to hear of the death of Barry Scully. A true gentleman and a great musician. I got to know him through following Dickie Rock, he was a mind of information of all things showband.  I will really miss him. Deepest sympathy to the family circle.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 12/12/07 at 01:44:34

whistle   Offline
Journeyman Musician
while you work
Kerry

This is terribly sad news.  I crossed swords with him many times on this forum,  but he always took it in the spirit of great debate!  I exchanged quite a few PMs with him and he seemed to be a gentlemen (albeit with strong opinions!)

I note that the last PM I received on this forum is in fact from Barry mid November. 

I bet he's got his own band going up there already, I got the impression that even though he had a few years behind him, he was an energetic soul.  Well he is now, I'll miss him and may he rest in peace.

Whistle

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 12/13/07 at 15:22:47

noman34   Offline
Showband
"Live Long and Prosper"
Walsall

I knew Barry when he first joined `Gene & the Gents`.
Since then I have spoken to him on Skype and we had some good laughs.
His death has come as a shock. Why do the good ones go first? He could teach these `new` bands a thing or two about manners.
I do not feel sorry about his passing. He is no longer in this `Valley of Tears`, it is those he has left behind that have my sympathy.
Barry, no doubt, is argueing about how a piece should be played in that great band in the sky.
My greatest condolences to his family at this time of sorrow.

There is too much Hate in the World. Love (any kind of Love) is fine by me.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - 12/14/07 at 16:18:26

genech   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I had the pleasure of sharing the same stage as Barry for 6 years (Gene and the Gents)
I can only endorse all that has been said and just add that he was a fantastic musician and person.
I had not seen Barry for 30 years but we had been e mailing one another and speaking on the phone from time to time.
We had arranged to meet at the Helix in January.
Sadly not to be!
Typical of Barry, in his last e mail a week ago he was giving me plenty of tips and encouragement for the Helix show.

I will miss him!

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 02/15/08 at 20:19:58

noman34   Offline
Showband
"Live Long and Prosper"
Walsall

From the above replies Barry was respected by all, not only those in the music circuit, but people who had met and spoken to him.
I Thank you all who posted your thoughts about Barry.
« Last Edit: 02/24/08 at 18:03:19 by noman34 »  

There is too much Hate in the World. Love (any kind of Love) is fine by me.
IP Logged

Reply #8 - 12/10/19 at 15:45:37

PETE CRESSWELL   Offline
BT74 6BD

Played with Barry in Gene and the Gents. Great bass player and singer and a nice guy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print