Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dance halls in Dublin (Read 31405 times)
01/19/09 at 14:09:54

hammy   Offline
I Love YaBB 2!
ENGLAND

I remember in 1972 you had a dance hall for every night of the week in Dublin. You had the CRYSTAL BALLROOM . TV CLUB. and the OLYMPIC on the south side of the city. On the North side you had the NATIONAL. IRISH CLUB. TOWN AND COUNTRY. and the IERNE. All the top bands in Ireland at the time played them all. They were great days and sadly missed Cry  I suppose there is some people out there that remember these days.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 01/29/09 at 23:32:03

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

Even in the late 1970s you could still go dancing in Dublin most days of the week,although Monday was the traditional showband night off, but New Spotlight introduced a showband night out then,I remember seeing Carole and New Blues at one such night out,  but it wasn't at one of the ballrooms but a hotel on the southside.There was a good crowd in that night.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 09/18/09 at 18:50:26

foxyloxy   Offline
I Love YaBB 2!

When I was a teenager in the 60s I worked selling soft drinks and cigarettes on Sat nights at the Mayfair ballroom in Clondalkin, and saw some great bands, I really liked the Chessmen, Platters, Airchords and Pacific. I also saw the Searchers, Tremeloes, Honeycombs and Applejacks. I remember too, the Black Eagles with Phil Lynott used to do the warm-up spot, he always looked very smart but you'd never guess he was destined for stardom, the band were nothing special, they played Elvis's Hound Dog and John Lee Hooker's Dimples. There were lots of fights, they weren't too fussy who they let in and the place changed it's name and was "under new management " - yeah ? several times. It was called El Morrocco and a few others I forget. If we weren't taking much money the owner would go round with a long pole and close the roof windows, then say to the band "play some rock'n'roll ! What am I paying you for ?"  So they'd all be leppin' and in 10 minutes time there'd be a big queue of hot sweaty dancers all wanting to buy a drink to cool them down....Protestant church socials were calmer affairs where the punters didn't batter each other, they came from miles around looking for a partner. No fighting was good but we had to endure the rather staid Jimmy Dunny band who played "proper"  dance music, not much rock/n/roll, but on the plus side, you got a sandwich and a cup of tea made by the parish ladies, which was much better than fizzy orange and a packet of crisps.
Halcyon Days !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print