Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Greenbeats from Dublin (Read 5813 times)
05/24/10 at 23:22:37

Bruce In Canada   Offline
I Love YaBB 2!

I am presently writing an encyclopedia of 60's UK bands and am trying to find out information about The Greenbeats. As I am trying hard to verify information and in many instances have been fortunate enough to have contacted members of groups, I would be so very grateful for anything anyone can provide.  I understand they became a showband in 1965 but am finding conflicting information on that and on who the 1964 members were before they became the showband. Did they become a showband in 1964 or 1965?  Was Brian Lynch the original bass player or was Peter Bardon the original bass player?  Who was the bass player on their Nov 64 recording If This World Were Mine b/w You Must Be The One? Did the Greenbeats disband in 1968?
Hopefully someone can help me with the answers to these questions or can forward my e mail to someone who can.  Thanks

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 10/26/10 at 14:25:18

moggie   Offline
I Love YaBB 2!

Hi Bruce
When I joined the Greenbeats in 1962 they were called the Caravelles, and featured John Keogh on piano, Paul Williams on guitar, Brian Lynch on bass, Dessie Bonner on sax and myself on drums.Dessie left in 1963 and we continued as a quartet, until Brian left to complete his studies and was replaced by Peter Barden in, I believe, 1964. I'm nearly certain that Brian played on 'World'.
I left in 1965 and the band turned into a Showband. Paul Williams died in a crash on the way to a gig, but the Showband survived until around, I think, 1970 or so.
In the early seventies John, Brian and I reunited and, with guitarist Benny Cheevers ( ex Skid Row ) formed Full Circle and did it all again for another 25 years. Benny and I left in 1996, but Brian and John continue to perform as Full Circle.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Mog Ahern

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print