Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Favourite Bands or Singers. (Read 58209 times)
05/07/04 at 23:08:21

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

SmileyTwo bands really were my favourites, Nevada werethe good news band,who always had some great singers and who always enjoyed themselves both on and off the stage.Tina,though for me was their best singer who always had time to chat to her fans ,everyone loved her!    New Blues played country and pop ,had two  brillant young singers in Keith Beattie and Carole Wallace plus some great musicians ,they were a very versatile band who had a loyal following.Keith had a hit with Spanish Disco,while Carole had a hit with her debut single. You Never Can Tell  in1977.She had agreat voice probably better suited to country rather than pop.Offstage   she was a  very friendly lady .

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 05/08/04 at 17:18:44

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
The history of Irish music
is a continuing journey
Sligo, Ireland

I have to say I really enjoyed Chips and the Memories as both were willing to try things other bands didn't. Chips played Steedy Dan stuff while I still think the Memories playing Bohermian Rhapsody has to be one of the most ambitious songs ever attempted by any band, anywhere. I also thought the early Plattermen were excellent, in some ways every bit as good as Blood, Sweat & Tears! Any others...?

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 05/24/04 at 10:39:22

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

KissIagree with you about Chips,they were really good.When I saw Gina and The Champions they were very good, she had a tremendous voice and the band generally were great to dance to.Watching Ray Lynam in action at the Tara Club made me realise what a great voice he had which should have graced the Opry in Nashville,plus many bands had geat individual musicians,one could easily have formed a super band!

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 05/24/04 at 11:53:53

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
is a continuing journey
Sligo, Ireland

Yes, I think there were a few great country singers overlooked because of the stigma of "country and Irish." Ray was certainly one of them and he also had a great band. It's kind of a pity that most of  them, even Ray, just sang knock offs of American country hits. Not a lot of originality there, at least not that I knew off, but I could be wrong.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 05/27/04 at 18:41:34

cigarman   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
53721 Siegburg Germany

For any one who is interested Ray can still be seen on the local lounge scene and I have to agree that he is one of the great talants that we have overlooked, I had seen him perform numerous times over the years, and on a trip home a couple of years ago saw him in the lounge scene with the"Little Japanese Band" it has always amazed how small these Japanese players are.I have to admit it is nice to recall how pure his voice is.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 05/28/04 at 19:59:01

Admin   Offline
YaBB Administrator
is a continuing journey
Sligo, Ireland

Good to hear Ray is still going...

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 08/13/04 at 20:28:42

ishaun   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Glad you liked "Chips". I joined the band just before the style changed from Steely Dan, Pink FLoyd, The Mamas and the Papas, Crosby Stills Nash and Young  etc to a more pop oriented band. Sucessful yes but not quite as enjoyable to play. Anyway what about the original Freshmen? Rumour has it that when the Beach Boys played in Belfast with the Freshmen opening the show for them, that, that all the Beach Boys watched the whole set from the side of the stage. And by all accounts when they went onstage they were nowhere as good as the Freshmen.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 02/20/05 at 02:47:36

Shay   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Longford

Without doubt the best band of the late 70s and 80s was Gina Dale Haze and The Champions A fantastic group with two of the best singers in the land and they played a real top class sound and filled the halls from Donegal to Cork Great to know they are still entertaining in the south mostly  Happy memoires indeed

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 02/20/05 at 17:39:52

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

I agree with you Gina  has a good voice,Peter Hayden  ex Nevada told me that Gina would have been the ideal lady to have fronted the showband with  him playing drums,she was the best in his opinion Shay.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 02/25/05 at 01:44:45

Shay   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Longford

Heard Gina about two years  ago and she sounds as good as ever Pity all The Champions songs are only on tape and record only

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 04/07/05 at 05:30:02

jimbo   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I played with Carole for a while, and still believe she could have sung anything.  A truly great talent, and a really nice lady.

Jimmy Compton

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 04/08/05 at 11:02:54

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

Wink Wink Wink Wink WinkJimmy agree with you about Carole very versatile,underrated and a lovely lady as well.Mind you I liked Lola as well who was in New Blues before Carole.Lola who writes to me occasionly has a great voice,her version of Danny Boy,recorded at the Rivera Las Vegas in 1984 is excellent as well.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 07/02/05 at 22:47:44

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

While I agree that most of the bands mentioned in the above posts were very good, you have to go back further to get to the really good showbands. The Capitol, Johnny Quigley,Donie Collins etc. But the best of all were the Royal. Grin

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 03/04/06 at 03:47:48

Shay   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Longford

Went to hear Gina last week in Castlebar She is still singing as good as ever Brilliant show by a top class performer

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 03/28/06 at 14:44:14

doc   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I  agree that Chips and The Memories were two of the best live bands . I would have to add in Tweed to make a Brill trio

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print