Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Favourite Bands or Singers. (Read 58204 times)
Reply #15 - 04/09/06 at 05:29:33

angelvoice   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Ex-Showband front woman!

Cheesy   Gosh! this has been an emotional ride. Just found this web site by accident and had to join/post/say hi, etc
First off, I am Dee McMahon, I was better know as Julie from Des Lee, Julie, & Starband. Is that ISHAUN who I think it is???? If so you were in Vienna with me when we toured Denmark.
Speaking of Vienna...I see they are list as unknown, well Shaun should have updated you. We were a Dublin Band. members from all over.
OK, back to great bands....Chips were one of the best pop bands Ireland ever had, they lost out big time when Adrian joined Starband.
I also used to go and see the Memories...wow, they were amazing. It's been wonderful looking at all those pics. Only thing is the one of Starband says it's the original line-up...it nearly is...just minus ME!!!!

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 05/26/06 at 22:03:39
ecosse   Ex Member

Hello there:
                "The Freshmen" were the" Creme De La Creme" of all the Irish showbands.....ever! Billy Brown(RIP),was a genius!!.Derek Dean was an awesome singer!. TheFreshmen were my kind of band. I thoroughly enjoyed them!! .I never actually danced to them.....I just stood there in awe  and listened to them.There NEVER was,and NEVER will be,another showband like them EVER!!.They make me proud to be Irish!.
« Last Edit: 05/30/06 at 18:36:32 by N/A »  
IP Logged

Reply #17 - 05/26/06 at 23:19:28

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Yes Ecosse, The Freshmen were very good but obviously you never heard some of the really great bands like Johnny Quigley, The Clippers and a lot of others 8)

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 05/28/06 at 18:16:45

eddy   Offline
Journeyman Musician
love is the answer, and
 you know that for sure,

Roll Eyes for now, a couple of bands from back then, tweed the new royal  not forgetting jon kennys band

all you need is love
IP Logged

Reply #19 - 05/28/06 at 19:21:52

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!
Northamptonshire, England

Well...for what it's worth, I think the Indians, Green County, Cotton Mill Boys were great bands. As were Tweed, Memories & Chips. I also liked the Royal Blues & Miami. Some bands listed on the forum were just starting out as I left Ireland...so I can't comment on those... Smiley

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them!
IP Logged

Reply #20 - 05/28/06 at 23:56:18

Tiptop   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

No one to touch the Freshmen and The Plattermen. In a class of their own.

IP Logged

Reply #21 - 05/29/06 at 01:23:12

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

Smiley Smiley SmileyFreshmen were good,my favs were the Nevada and New Blues,both great bands to dance to Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #22 - 05/29/06 at 02:34:24

Shay   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Longford

The best dance band of the late 70s and 80s was without doubt Gina Dale Haze and The Champions The biggest crowd pullers in the country for those years Fantastic sound and dance beat band Great to see all the pictures of them in the Profile section

IP Logged

Reply #23 - 06/05/06 at 21:35:52

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!
Northamptonshire, England

I know that the topic of conversation in this thread is 'Favourite Bands & Singers', but what about your all-time, never to be repeated or forgotten - song? It doesn't have to be a really famous one. Maybe one that your fave band played? One of mine was 'Wild Blood' played/sung at the Indians gigs, also 'Funny Face' as sung by Roly & Green County. Maybe one that had you running for the toilets when the opening bars were sung? My least favourite was this and the opening line was 'The judge said stand up lad & dry up your tears....'. I know who it was by but I don't want to offend anyone in case it was their fave... It's just my opinion... Grin
« Last Edit: 06/05/06 at 23:12:28 by Trish »  

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them!
IP Logged

Reply #24 - 06/05/06 at 22:11:03

eddy   Offline
Journeyman Musician
love is the answer, and
 you know that for sure,

beautiful day, or was it beautifull sunday,  is one of the songs that stands out Roll Eyesin my memory Roll Eyesdaniel boone song early sunshine seventies, breandan o brien of the dixies stage 2 covered song

all you need is love
IP Logged

Reply #25 - 06/06/06 at 10:25:32

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley SmileyLike a lot of showband songs favourites are clap your hands stamp your feet by miami,the hucklebuck by the royal,but my  fav has to be  I'm  So Afrald by Lola,lovely slow ballad,which for me anyway is a classic! Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #26 - 09/22/06 at 00:06:34

country_girl_mags   Offline
Part Time Player
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

my favourite singer was Larry Cunningham i followed him every were
i was a member of his fan club. I loved Johnny Mc Evoy too. My ladi 
   singers were Margo and Philomena

IP Logged

Reply #27 - 09/22/06 at 17:37:36

smith   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi Country-Girl-Mags
 Philomena Begley and Margo are two of my favourite singers. Philomena is still The Queen Of Country and sounding better than ever.    Philomena often joins  her son Aidan Quinn and his band on tour.  Aidan has his mothers talent for singing and the pair of them together is a double treat.  Aidan has just released a CD .   I have heard Gary Gamble sing when he was a guest on Country Afternoon with Hugo Duncan BBC Radio Ulster. Gary is very good.
                                      smith
« Last Edit: 09/22/06 at 22:45:00 by smith »  
IP Logged

Reply #28 - 09/24/06 at 01:30:05

breezy_willow   Offline
Music Student
"Where you playing tonight?"
 "The Fireside Inn"
Surrey, England

Hi

I think one of the most underated singers in showbands is Frank McCafferey of The Country Folk. I feel that his style of singing was ahead of its time and was never fully appreciated. What a top range he had!! Glad to hear he is still going (saw him a few years back, here in England and he l sounded great!).
D

Enjoy life...it only happens once!
IP Logged

Reply #29 - 09/24/06 at 01:48:49

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

I agree. A fantastic voice. 8)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print