Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shelley (AKA Janvier Lynch) (Read 37185 times)
06/09/04 at 20:05:42

Duke   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Currently, Bury Manchester UK

Helloo Heads and other mortals.

Declan (Duke) Colgan here. Ex- Rascals and previously Shelley and the Big Valley. Just wondered if anyone has any idea where the aforementioned singer resides now. Have'nt heard from here in almost 30 years and wondered how life changed for her and her family since that time.

I had heard that she moved to USA but not sure.

Other than that it would be nice to hear from any people round the country who used to go to our gigs. A few of my favourites where TV club in Dub, Astoria Bundoran, Stardust Cork, Fiesta Letterkenny just to name a few. I'm sure there was a club in Dublin called La Roue or similar, as I remember it was down the end of an alley not far from the Ambassador Cinema (as was). Played there a few times too.

I used to meet a few ladies from the Ballyfermot area in the Tele club, and maybe someone knows the whereabouts of one of them as well. She WAS called Tina Roe and I was  very fond of her, hope someone knows her.

Anyway thanks for lookin in and see y'all again

Duke

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 06/09/04 at 21:51:03

cigarman   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
53721 Siegburg Germany

Duke Do not know where Shelly is at present but I know where her brother is, so I ll ask him in the next couple of days . If I remember right you where the keyboard player with Teds band Who did you play with after that.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 06/09/04 at 22:02:30

cigarman   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
53721 Siegburg Germany

If anyone out here know the where abouts of Pearse Kelly I would be pleased to hear from them. I first heard Pearse playing with The Crying Soul but later moved to Dublin playing with the Gary Moore Band  during the 70s and Vinagar Joe the last I heard of him was he was playing with 70s popsters Chichory Tip  Son of my Father and all that. I know he played with a few of the Dublin rock groups in the late 60s. He is without any doubt one of the best drummers I have ever heard. Wink

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 06/09/04 at 23:10:26

mirzah   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
england

When were you  playing in the stardust? I can remember some great bands there. Last time I  was in Ireland  I saw a few friends who are still playing in bands and since then my friends and I  are trying to remember bands and singers. Dave Monks. Paul Ashford and Des Lee  did they play in the same band at one time ?  Mirzah

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 06/10/04 at 14:31:10

Duke   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Thanks for replying. Barry used to play bass with us in the Valley. I thought the whole family had emigrated to the states. He's still round then is he. Nice one.

I left the Big Valley when the band broke up as Tony Loughman wanted to try and revive the two girl band thing with Jan and her sisiter Ann. So he formed a new band using members of the Big Valley and members of Ann's band The New Cadets.

I auditioned, (and failed ) to take Ray Moores place in Paddy Cole, but I don't play the trumpet like he could. Have a reasonable singing voice though, or did have then anyway.

Then John McGovern got in touch, he was managing the Rascals then and I tried out for them at Marshalls Inn in Sion Mills ( theres a place you forgot on your ballroom list) and got the job. I read somwwhere on your site about The Memories doing a cover of Bohemian Rhapsody, well I would like to point out that we too did that and I can remember one night in dundalk having to play it twice, the second time with punters on the stage with their ears to all our speaker systems to check we wern't miming.

When I left the Rascals I let the pro scene. Played round Omagh with a pub band which was called Forum.

It was round that time that Dominic Kirwan was deciding he wanted to have a go and as his sister is my sisters best friend he got to listening to our little combo, and because we played a different type of music than the ordinary run of the mill lounge group, eg Eagles, Captain Beefheart, Ry Cooder etc he asked for some help in setting up a group playing that type of song. So I guess it all paid off in the end.

Anyway, that's all for now

See ya Grin

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 07/05/04 at 03:33:18

Anne   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

hi,
duke, from omagh?
this is jans sister(shelly)
jan and myself are living in america, jan has 2 girls and i have one, my daughter just got married here, and my whole family Barry included ,were here for the occassion, i will let Jan know of this site, barry just sent me this web site to check it out,
keep in touch
~~Anne~~

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 07/10/04 at 17:05:34

Jan   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Here I am! I've been living in the US now for 22 years. I have been married for 21 of those years and we have two Children. I am still involved in music, in fact we did a concert in the park last night. A lot of friends and family were on hand (big sis watching over me) and a good time was had by all. Great site!

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 09/15/04 at 22:21:15

Duke   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Jan you're THERE.
How have you been ? I have thought about the old days many many times.
Sorry I have'nt replied til now but I have been unable to get to a PC for a while due to unforseen circumstances. I have a son the same age (near enough) to you're daughters age.
E-mail me on my address if you want, it would be gret to talk with you its declancolgan356@msn.com
all the best
Declan (Duke)
XXXXXXXXXXXXX

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 05/13/05 at 03:06:20

Basil Henrick   Offline
Steel Players do it without
fretting
Tamworth Staffordshire

Hello Kiddo !!
I'm retired and living just a half mile from "The Belfrey" golf course..
E-Mail me PLEASE...
Baz
[quote]Steel players do it without fretting[/quote]

[img]http://www.waikiki-islanders.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/gtr123.gif [/img]

[img]http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/waikiki_islanders/baspat2.jpg[/img]

Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting
&&...
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 05/13/05 at 05:48:04

Jan   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

OH MY GOD. Basil it's so good to hear from you. Glad to see your still playing away. I'll drop you a line sometime tomorrow when I have more time........... Where to begin?

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 05/25/05 at 00:45:15

Pamela_Healy_sligo   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

HI "SHELLEY"

ITS SO GOOD TO KNOW OF YOUR WHEREABOUTS, WE OFTEN WONDERED WHERE YOU AND YOUR SISTER WERE NOW!  BACK IN 1970'S WE ALWAYS WENT WHERE EVER YOUR BAND WAS PLAYING. SHELLEY I USED TO HAVE AN OLD 8 TRACH PLAYER AND ONE OF YOUR TAPES THERE WAS ONE SONG ON IT ALWAYS STICKS OUT IN MY MEMORY CALLED "ANGEL EYES" OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.  IS IT POSSIBLE TO BUY IT ANYWHERE ON CASSETT OR CD  i AM SO PLEASED TO CHAT WITH YOU.

take good care of yourself.

PAMELA HEALY OF SLIGO

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 06/05/05 at 22:27:50

Jan   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi Pamela
Thanks for the kind words. Can you believe I don't have any of my own albums. although a few weeks ago a friend sent me tapes, and low and behold Angel Eyes is on there. I don't know if you can buy old albums anywhere, if so someone please let me know. Anyway thanks again for taking the time to write.
                  Best wishes. Shelly (Jan)

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 06/25/05 at 15:27:24

Pamela_Healy_sligo   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi Shelley
thank you for replying to my note, glad to hear you are happy with your family in that beautiful part of the world. I am still looking out for your albums and especially for that special song " angle eyes" I don't care what I pay for it.

Bye for now
take care
from pamela

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 10/23/05 at 20:33:13

Micheal_Lynch   Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Co. Monaghan

Hi Jan
just browsing through the internet today with my daughter Lisa and came across this site. Nice to see the old photos of the band.
Hope you and your family are keeping well. Are you still gigging? I was in New York in June with John Glenn and Tony Loughman doing a fundraiser for St James' hospital in Dublin. Thought i might have caught up with you but did not see you advertised in Irish papers.
I have a cassette copy of "Shelly Sings" and "Just Two People" with Gerry Black. If you would like copies, let me know.
Regards,
Micheal Lynch

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 10/25/05 at 21:31:56

Duke   Offline
Music Student
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hello Micheal how are you? Sounds like you are still blowing now and again if you were across the pond. You may not even remember me, I was a comlete rookie when you and Jimmy Smith took me under your wings back then. It was when Tony Fox was taken ill and Danno dropped me right in it. The first night was in a carnival somewhere down the middle of the country and I think it was on the third night you had me on stage in Dublin when the band was playing support to Hank Locklin in the National Stadium. I have Jan's e-mail if you want it, You can contact me at declancolgan356@msn.com

I see you too have a family, my youngest is 17 , middle one 20 and the eldest almost 23. anyway it's nice to know you are ok, don't forget to contact me if you want that address

Duke

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print