Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Year Question for yiz! (Read 18310 times)
01/02/07 at 14:22:39
luap   Ex Member

The Memories honoured the great Dublin team of the 70s, Heffo's Heroes, with a song called "The Likes of Heffos Army";  on the day they recorded the song, as they packed up their gear, paid for the session and headed off with the master tape, another band arrived into the same studio that evening to record a song called "Heffos Heroes".  Both songs charted, with the Memories barely beating the other band.
The pseudonym "Light Blue" was used, but who was the actual band who played and sang "Heffos Heroes"? (No session musos were used on either of the recordings).

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 01/02/07 at 22:41:02

Tiptop   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I have absolutely no idea who the Light Blues were , but it is something I have often wondered about. I shall be verry interested to learn who they were.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 01/04/07 at 17:40:03

whistle   Offline
Journeyman Musician
while you work
Kerry

there was a rumour at the time that the Memories themselves did it to create an artificial "race up the charts" - as often happened when someone heard a hit song in america and four or five showbands rushed to release the song first. The publicity would help the sales regardless of who had the hit with it.  Anyone else hear that?

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 01/04/07 at 23:41:38
luap   Ex Member

Sorry Whistle - good try tho.  I never heard that rumour.  They were on 2 different record labels so it was never going to be true. 

I'm surprised some of the regulars haven't tried this one, I thought it was fairly common knowledge at the time who was behind Light Blue.

Clue - they might not have been blue but....

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 01/04/07 at 23:46:31

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Green maybe??

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 01/05/07 at 13:20:19

whistle   Offline
Journeyman Musician
while you work
Kerry

Luap,  I can't figure out why a showband would not use their own name on a record.  Are you sure there wasn't some onehitwonder band actually called Light Blue? 
We all want fame and glory, so why hide away when you've got a bit of a hit record? 
I gather from other posts that lots of the contributors have archives of Spotlight magazine, maybe yiz could do a trawl through some of those and find out? 
I'm a bit baffled by this one - and what's really annoying is I think I remember how it sounded, wasn't it a Gary Glitter kind of rip-off with heavy percussion and handclaps?
If anyone has the record, the composer will be listed and there might be a clue there.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 01/05/07 at 19:56:24
luap   Ex Member

Liam, do you mean green as in jealous?  I suppose there were bands who envied the Memories, they were at their peak in the mid 70s and pulling huge crowds.

Whistle  - yeah, I am surprised that the dust hasn't been blown from the old spotlights, I'm suspect the truth must have been revealed at some time then!

Keep thinkin', lads and lassies!

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 01/05/07 at 19:59:06

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!
Northamptonshire, England

Hey! TP... Where are ya when we need your expertise in records? Wink

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them!
IP Logged

Reply #8 - 01/05/07 at 20:07:55
luap   Ex Member

Whistle, old boy, you're on the right track with the glitter/glam sound - and while you pose a sensible question about what band would be hiding behind a false name, I can assure you that "Light Blue" never existed as a real band.  The guy behind it was a bit of a messer (as Larry Gogan can well attest) and I think he was suprised when the record actually took off. He was also behind a lot of the bandwagon ambushes referred to in a recent post.  Lordy, folks, there's a few clues in there for yiz!!!

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 01/05/07 at 20:11:19
luap   Ex Member

PS  - whistle, I just checked!!!  the mention of ambushes was yours - sou MUST know who we're talking about!!!!!

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 01/05/07 at 21:28:49

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Luap. Not green as in envy, as in Beats and I wish I had all the Spotlights I had to brush the dust off Embarrassed

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 01/06/07 at 00:48:16

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

I wouldn't put it past Joe Mac. ???

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 01/06/07 at 15:15:28

whistle   Offline
Journeyman Musician
while you work
Kerry

TP is certainly keeping quiet on this one.  Maybe he's still trawling thru his old spotlights. I doubt if Joe Mac would have been happy to release a record with out the band's name on it.  Yeah, he was a guy for the high jinks - as were all the Dixies!
Liam referred to the Greenbeats, was it them?

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 01/06/07 at 18:59:12

Tiptop   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Doesn't sound like John Keogh on vocals.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 01/06/07 at 23:09:22

whistle   Offline
Journeyman Musician
while you work
Kerry

...may not sound like him, but John Keogh certainly knew how to "entertain". He was a total joker at times which would fit luap's description.  Were the Greenbeats still  playing at that stage or had they morphed into the Real McCoy? John went FULL CIRCLE around that time and got back to his R&R roots with Mog Ahern and Brian Lynch.  He was also writing and recording jingles so it wouldn't have been beyond him to have done the Light Blue record.
Luap, where are ye? put us out of our misery!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print