Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
The Demise of the Showband... (Read 61476 times)
05/07/06 at 17:29:53

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!
Northamptonshire, England

It's a well known fact that disco's were responsible for the phasing out of the showband. I used to go regularly to a local dancehall. The bands would pull in a large crowd, the more popular ones would draw in many more. Back in the mid 70's, the owners, who I knew quite well, decided to half the size of the dance area & make a nightclub/disco with the remainder. When asked why, they replied that the profit margin was greater because disco's were cheaper to book than the bands. Yes, disco's did become popular eventually, but it was mainly down to the greed of dancehall owners. Us fans weren't given the choice. That's my view on it anyway. What do other members think?

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them!
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 05/07/06 at 18:53:46

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

There's a lot to think about in what Trisha says. I think I'll have to mull it over in my mind ??? and maybe then give a considered view on it Undecided

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 05/07/06 at 20:46:31

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Before saying anything further, I think it is true to say that greed (profit) whatever you call it will always play abig part in societal changes. While basically agreeing with what Trisha says, I think there is part of the transition overlooked. This is possibly due to the fact that whereas Trisha is of the 70s. I am of the 60s. Therefore, I think, and this is only my opinion, that the demise started with the pub becoming popular before the dance and a lot of the dancers arriving later and later to the dances. Then there was the onset of groups playing in pubs, which became very popular, and so onto the the final nail as Trisha has, so eloquently, pointed out.
No doubt there are various different views on this topic, all with an element of fact.
Probably the one thing that unites the holders of these differing views is there common love of the Showband era and there sadness at it's passing 8)

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 05/08/06 at 00:59:59

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley I think liamo and Trisha it wasabout profit but discos had an alcohol licence,in Dublin the ones I used didn't,I asked Carole out of New Blues about this,she told me that most people had their fill of alcohol in the pub,then about midnight would go into the dance hall.Also many showbands covered british and us pop and country songs,apart from bands like the Swarbriggs  who did write original material.It would be interesting to get Dees views on it asshe was in Starband or even Gerrys.Take care.Best Wishes,Pete Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 05/08/06 at 01:18:13

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

I see what your saying, Celebrity, and where you're coming from. However, I feel it is necessary to have lived through the era and experienced the changes first hand. Yes Dee was in Starband but that was the 70s. gerry was also in the 70s. No offence to either or anyone who played in the 70s. On the other hand, I played in bands from the early 60s and have first hand knowledge of the evolving scene.
While in no way claiming to know it all, I would like to think that my knowledge of the era would be fairly good 8)

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 05/08/06 at 10:28:49

angelvoice   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Ex-Showband front woman!

To be honest I think everyone has overlooked one critical contributing factor in the ultimate demise of the Irish Showband Era... Progress! With the advent of worldwide media improving to the point that we no longer thought of pop idols ascompletely untouchable and the huge growth in the recording industry two things happened: the showbands no longer held the idolitory status that they used to and people realised that they could listen to perfect recordings of their fave music at a disco (and have alcahol at the same time).
In some ways it was about the atmosphere, it became easier and easier to see international acts live, making our own local talent seem less special.
Generally speaking, even now in the pubs locally, if you had to pay to go in just because they had live music I can't see them being packed out every night . Thhe media has played a huge part in killing local live music and hyping up the international scene, which is available on our own doorsteps.
I could go on and on...and often do! but I'll leave it at that for today.
xx
Dee

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 05/08/06 at 12:49:41

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy          Dee you have  summed it up very well,but a few years ago the beeb did a two part documentary about irish music on radio 2,there was only a fleeting mention of the showbands, a short interview with Joe Dolan,yet bands like ash and thin lizzy  had a lot of time devoted to them as did the boybands /girlbands of today who owed a terrific debt to the showbands,but it is true what you say people now want something for nothing,yet in some aspects the showband lives on,people like Gloria and Gina and The Champions are still around,plus newish bands like the showband show. maintain the interest.Take care Dee,Liamo,Trisha etc Best Wishes,pete. Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 05/08/06 at 13:27:10

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

It is a given that progress is the over-riding factor in all societal change and I doubt if anyone has overlooked that fact Dee. Is progress always good and beneficial? I don't think so. After all, progress has us all neck deep in non bio-degradable litter world wide Sad
As Dee said, one could go on ad infinitum about different aspects of this.
To get back to the point I think what Trisha was doing in her item, was analysing the contributing factors that led to progress in this particular change in Ireland. There were a lot.
In my opinion, and this is only my opinion, one end result of this progress was not good or benificial to young people.
In my time (I know it sounds like a seanachai), young people had good live entertainment on their doorsteps. As a result of progress they were denied this unless they traveled to Dublin or somewhere like that. It wasn't always easy in those days to do that Embarrassed. Young people were then left to going to venues to listen to someone playing records!!!! Entertainment? I ask ya!!! Roll Eyes
I can do that at home anytime.
Purely an opinion and purely mine. Cheers Grin

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 05/08/06 at 21:52:32

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!
Northamptonshire, England

I see that my original comment has brought other people's views to the forum. In the 'early' days when bands played in dancehalls, many of these halls were parish council run so the idea of selling alcohol was unheard of.  As a teenage 'culchie', living in the back of beyond, I used to travel to my local dancehall, where we would purchase minerals. As time went on, many of these dancehalls changed with the times & introduced alcohol. Then along came the bigger dancehalls where the 'action' didn't start until 10pm & went on til 2am. Sometimes the bands supplied their own discos to keep the dancers on the floor, while they were getting ready. We usually went to the pub because we knew that the band wouldn't be on until a certain time. We always looked forward to hearing the 'live' bands play. Nowadays, in the town where I live, we do get live groups in the pubs & clubs.  People are prepared to queue & pay to see them.  The discos are placed out of town. You see 'live music' is the best & always will be.  Cheesy  
« Last Edit: 05/08/06 at 23:57:46 by Trish »  

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them!
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 05/09/06 at 01:31:05

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley SmileyYou  can never replace live music as the  showbands proved,they had good singers and brillant musicians, there was an excitement generatedwhich could not be beaten,what a pity   that most bands and dancehalls are now memories of the past. Shocked Shocked Shocked

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 05/28/06 at 20:56:19

eddy   Offline
Journeyman Musician
love is the answer, and
 you know that for sure,

well holy god, as miley might say, not sure of bingy,s catch phrase Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

all you need is love
IP Logged

Reply #11 - 05/28/06 at 23:53:07

Tiptop   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

A very interesting topic and like Liamo etc I have my views on why the Showband went the way of the dionosar, the hula hoop and carraway seed cake. I put it down to a number of things (a) greed by both the bands and ballroom owners (b) lack of respect for the punters by both the bands and the ballroom owners , by respect I mean , short changed by the bands who thought their newly found star status meant they could hire some crappy support/relief band to play for half the night; short changed by the ballroom owners who failed to move with the times and provide the punters with the comforts needed. (c) progress:  , every musical trend has a cycle and the showbands had more of a run than others (d) the launch of the country showbands such as the SMR and CMB which in hindsight were the death knoll of the showband, from that point on it was down hill all the way. The success of the SMR and CMB led to a flood of country (and Irish) bands who were musically inept and turned the teenagers away from live music and into the discos.  The showband era was unique and a wonderful time but we shouldn't be blinded by nostalgia because for every good showband there were a dozen pretty dire ones, but then I guess it didn't really matter because the main reason we attended a dance was to get a woman or a man , the music was a very poor second.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 05/29/06 at 19:40:48

angelvoice   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Ex-Showband front woman!

I feel thoroughly depressed by the final comments of TIPTOP's
Makes it sound as though no-one came to see our band, or any other, for any reason other than to 'pull'. I can assure you I remember a huge number of kids who spent the whole night lined up at the front of the stage , not once turning away to seek attention from the opposite gender. There were many many people who went specifically to see us, and many other bands because they wanted to hear their favourite bands...the fact that there were opposite sex type things there as well was a bonus but vertainly not the purpose. Either that Or I have serious amnesia!
Surely the number of people like Trisha and Celebrity are proof enough that the bands were the MAIN reason for people coming to the ballrooms!???
Anyone else feel this way?????
Dee

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 05/29/06 at 20:28:47

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

I must agree with Angelvoice on this. To say that the main reason in going to dances was to get a girl or fella is  totally incorrect. Anyone who remembers that era will know that the Music was THE thing and not a poor second. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. The thousands who attended when theirfavourite band was playing and indeed those who attended regardless of band are proof of this. 8)
Granted there were a lot of poor bands who jumped on the bandwagon. This is true of everything in life and is true today of singers and groups Roll Eyes
Girls and fellas did get "moves" in dances. So what?? I would have thought that that is the most natural thing in the world Wink

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 05/29/06 at 20:38:13

eddy   Offline
Journeyman Musician
love is the answer, and
 you know that for sure,

Roll Eyes  yep i remember throngs of people   Roll Eyes includeing myself waiteing for autographs from the band members,  Roll Eyesafter the  dance Roll Eyes  barbara  d  autographed  her picture for me way back in the summer of 72 i think, i usally went to the dances where my fave band were playing

all you need is love
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print