Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
The Demise of the Showband... (Read 61477 times)
Reply #15 - 05/29/06 at 22:48:04

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!
Northamptonshire, England

Speaking as a fan of showbands & their music, I can honestly speak from experience. Tell me this. Who, in their right minds would travel (often walk if we couldn't get a lift) to see our favourite bands? We would travel miles to see them. Where I lived, in Co. Westmeath, the nearest decent dance hall was a good 4 miles away. Mullingar was 13 miles. We travelled in all weathers. I often think that many bands didn't think of just how dedicated some of their fans were. Luckily,  my favourite bands did. We would stand & watch 'the show', dance to the music & just had a real good time .We would sometimes dance with guys who were there, like us - Yes, the lads were fans too. If we wanted 'to pull' as Dee mentioned, we could go to the local pub! We appreciated that the bands travelled miles to play & we repaid them by giving our support. As we still do today, here in this forum.  Wink

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them!
IP Logged

Reply #16 - 05/29/06 at 23:17:08

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi Trisha.

Speaking of 'Pulling'. It's worth mentioning that the bands did their fair share of it !!

Ah! Memories !!

Regards

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 05/29/06 at 23:21:58

Tiptop   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Aw come on let's get real. Boys went to dances to get a woman and girls went to get a man, that's why dances were held. It was the place to meet members of the opposite sex. The pub scene didn't exist as a boy meets girl venue in the 50's and early 60's.  Anyone who thinks that 2,000 + went to the dancehall just to hear the music is living in cloud cuckoo land. And as Angel voice knows only too well, the girls up at the stage were hoping they'd click with one of the band members and the boys were ogling Angelvoice. A dance was considered a success by the majority of punters if they clicked with a member of the opposite sex, it didn't matter whether it was Larry Cunningham, Brendan Bowyer or Eileen Reid who was on stage. So spare me all this spiel that it was the music that brought the punters to the halls. It was every country girls dream to attended a dance and meet prince charming (a wealthy farmer hopefully) and live happily ever after.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 05/29/06 at 23:37:35

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Hey Tiptop, would ya give us a break here Grin Having played in bands in the 60s, I have to admit you're right about one thing. The girls used to be at the stage hoping to get off with me 8) 8) 8)
As for the rest, it is my humble opinion, that perhaps you are in cloud cuckoo land Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 05/29/06 at 23:41:52

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!

I wasn't referring to the '50's or '60's but to the '70's. Yes....some girls & boys went with 'one' intention to dances but not ALL. I think there is a lot of resentment & negativity in some of the comments made here. Also, I'm sure it wasn't every 'country girl's dream' to meet a wealthy farmer & live happily ever after. Many had partners but still went to enjoy the music. So why keep going on & on about it? This forum is for those of us who actually 'enjoyed' the 'showband' era & continue to do so.

IP Logged

Reply #20 - 05/30/06 at 01:04:41

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

Smiley Smiley I agree with what Trisha says,unfortunately there were those who did try to pull a musician or singer,I wasn't one of those,but my friend Jon who drummed with New Blues was engaged to Carole who fronted the band,he asked me to hang around as I was a friend of the band in case someone tried to pull Carole while he was taking his equipment into  the bandbus, but this site is about the showbands,it's nice to get peoples views on all aspects of them. Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #21 - 05/30/06 at 01:14:14

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

HI again.

I don't want to get all socialogical but it's worth pointing out that dancing has been part of the courtship or mating rituals in all civilizations and cultures since time began. So whether we like it or not there is an element of possible mate selection every time we go dancing. and that's a fact.

Rgds

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #22 - 05/30/06 at 02:51:35

angelvoice   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Ex-Showband front woman!

Every individual who went to the dances had their own perspective of why they, and their peers were there. Whether or not one individual on here has a strong memory that pulling was his, and everyone elses motivation is irrelevant. It's one persons perspective, one he is wholly entitled too. The interesting thing is the loyalty and indignation felt by the others reading his comments.....personally I think that speaks for itself.
Having said that I feel duty bound to add two things:
1. as a former showband front person I'm jolly glad there are so many followers here to ensure a balanced arguement and to prove we 'Muso's' aren't just totally up our own derrieres.
and
2. there is some merit in what tiptop says, as is there in Barry's last comments: we did have the world and his wife wanting to be the one person who would get a shot at their fave band member at the end of the night.(and many obliged!!!)  and , Yes! music and dancing has played a huge role in the courtship of the sexes since and ero long forgotten
BUT! let's not forget, this debate is not about whether people ever fancied and ultimately got off with anyone at a dance, that has never been in dispute, what is under question is that the primary and in most cases the only reason people went was to satisfy their hormones.....Think again, I have now spent 1 yaer short of 30 performing in public to audiences all over the world from 5 people to 5000 people strong and I feel confident when I say I think I know when an audience appreciates the music and when they are clearly thier for a wholly different purpose. Perhaps your terminology was too strong tiptop. One other thing....why are you on here?
Great to debate!
Dee

IP Logged

Reply #23 - 05/30/06 at 03:02:48

angelvoice   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Ex-Showband front woman!

Incidentally, as for what Trisha said about fans travelling....she has a genuine perspective on that one. They came a whole lot further than 13 miles at times. It got to the point with a couple of Starband fans that we had to pick them up en route on occasion in appreciation for their dedication...after all- they paid our bills!
Cheers to all the paying public from 1976 onwards.....I salute you Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Wink

IP Logged

Reply #24 - 05/30/06 at 10:24:15

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Dee I take my hat off to you,fans appreciated the hard work that the guys and gals put into the showband scene,entertaining dancers,signing autographs and chatting to fans after the dance,it was a hard slog for you sometimes several hours on the road to a dance then several hours back, you were dedicated.I went to see Vincent,New Blues manager at Melody Promotions one afternoon,when Kieran the bands leader rang the office to say there were bad weather conditions,it was snowing  hard but the band got through to the ballroom which was somewhere in the west of Ireland,the band did not want to let their fans down,who made many sacrifices to see their heros.Best Wishes,Love Pete Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

IP Logged

Reply #25 - 05/30/06 at 11:34:48

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!

I worked in Ireland's first 24hour petrol station & I saw firsthand, the problems that the bands had trying to get to their various destinations & then home again. Some used to get as far as our place & sleep in their mini-buses, coaches etc. on their homeward journey. Yes...the bands did their best to get to the gigs so as not to disappoint the fans (& those out for 'a good time'!). Many fans did not realise how far some bands had to travel to get to a gig, only devoted fans did. Dee mentioned something that I'd forgotten & that was giving fans a lift to dances. I remember well, getting lifts to dances, carnivals etc from bands as a way of thanks for supporting them through all weathers - both going to see them perform & supplying them with petrol, diesel, refreshments etc.at all hours of the day & night. And before anyone comments...I wasn't one of those out 'to pull' a musician from a band...I knew many of them too well....Enough said !  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #26 - 05/30/06 at 14:30:26

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi All,

Good thread this. At last a bit of cut and thrust on the forum.

Very refreshing.

rgds

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #27 - 05/30/06 at 15:10:34

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Hi Folks, I can't see that we'll get agreement on this topic. After all we all went to dances for our own reasons. Tiptop knows why he went, I know why I went 8) I think the most we can achieve here is to agree to differ Smiley
The fact that Tiptop is wrong and the rest of us right doesn't enter into it Grin

IP Logged

Reply #28 - 05/30/06 at 15:15:34

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!

Well said, Liamo!  Grin

IP Logged

Reply #29 - 05/30/06 at 15:23:58

angelvoice   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Ex-Showband front woman!

Hahahahahahahaaha
Gotta love that man.....!

Saying what we all were thinking...and there was me trying to avoid being too confrontational. Ah sod it, go for broke:
Anyone who can't see why the showbands were so popular, good or bad, shouldn't be in here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fell better now   Angry Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print