Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
The Demise of the Showband... (Read 61475 times)
Reply #45 - 05/31/06 at 23:27:05

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi all,

Just remembered some of the lyrics to Steve Conway's 'At The End Of The Day' perhaps someone might want them.

At the end of the day just kneel and say, Thank you Lord for my work and play, i've tried to be good for I know that I should, That's my prayer for the end of the day.

And when a new dawn begins to break, Just lift up your eyes let your heart awake. Be ready to meet what the day may send and be ready to greet every man as a friend.

That's all I can remember apart from a line later in the tune,

Carry them high when they seem to be low as on your way you go,

Maybe this will jog someone's memory and we can can come up with the rest of it.

rgds

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #46 - 05/31/06 at 23:32:08

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!
Northamptonshire, England

Barry...That's nearly the same as I wrote earliar on...but I couldn't remember who it was sung by.

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them!
IP Logged

Reply #47 - 05/31/06 at 23:44:35

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Folks, If ya'll really want the lyrics of that song, why didn't someone say so? 8) I can listen to them and type them out and put them on the forum Grin

IP Logged

Reply #48 - 05/31/06 at 23:46:51

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi Trisha,

Go to www.208.justsayweb.de/208/208o/audio/208o_down_tunes.htm and you can have a listen to some of it.

Enjoy

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #49 - 05/31/06 at 23:56:40

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!

I remember the song so well. I could also go into a search engine. Or when Liam gets the words, we can all share them. Thanks to both.... Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #50 - 06/01/06 at 00:32:44

eddy   Offline
Journeyman Musician
love is the answer, and
 you know that for sure,

Roll Eyes hi barry thanks for info on song

all you need is love
IP Logged

Reply #51 - 06/01/06 at 01:22:48

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley SmileyHi everyone,someone mentionedabout Paul Burnett on radio luxembourg he mentioned that when he started out his  sig tune was the Hucklebuck by the Royal..I  emailed him about it,had a lovely one back,which I sent on to Aisling Bowyer daughter of Brendan Bowyer who fronted the Royal and Big 8,wondered what other discjockeys or showbands used to start their gig,New Blues for some reason used the muppet song.!Cheers everyone.Best Wishes,Pete Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy:)

IP Logged

Reply #52 - 06/01/06 at 01:26:06

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!

The Indians used to play 'One song away (from being home)' as their last song. Quite appropriate really..

IP Logged

Reply #53 - 06/01/06 at 01:29:36

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

God Yis are all great Grin Donie Collins used Fats Domino's "Be My Guest"

IP Logged

Reply #54 - 06/01/06 at 01:57:28

angelvoice   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Ex-Showband front woman!

We sang the national anthem
for whatever country we were in at the time! hah
Incidentally, I'm listening to that MariAAAAAN mongomery version right now.
the large a is to denote the fact that I searched and searched for marion montgomery and couldn't find it lol
no wonder its a not o

Its definitely not the sunny leslie version ...noweher near as soulful
XX

IP Logged

Reply #55 - 06/01/06 at 01:59:18

angelvoice   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Ex-Showband front woman!

oops
nope other way around...its the sunny leslie one I remember
xx

IP Logged

Reply #56 - 12/27/06 at 22:58:46
luap   Ex Member

While there were many reasons for the demise of the showbands (many sensible ones suggested on this discussion thread), few contributors seem to mention the word "talent". There were many very talented musicians but there were a large number of chancers and third-rate musicians in the showband scene. 
Playing live is all very well and you'll get away with a lot, but most of the showbands used session musicians on their recordings.  Those that didn't often wasted many a studio hour struggling to get a song finished with any semblance of quality. 
On more than one occasion, a player was told that the dodgy notes would be fixed on the mix, and as soon as he was out the door, the phone would be lifted and some session player would be in within the hour!
There were, of course,  bands who were superb - Ray Lynam's band is one, and in fact they went on to become session players in their own right.
The Irish audiences are primarily to blame: they haven't got a note in their heads!  Look at the various talent shows  - "Your a Star" for example - and see the way the votes go: if a singer choses a big ballad and screams his or her head off, the fact that s/he hits 6 different notes (none of them in tune) where one is required, will attract a bucketful of votes.  And the UK ones are nearly as bad...
I also note some begrudgrery towards a certain Sir Bob - yeah. he's a bit pompous, but he did write some classic songs; he also hit the nail on the head about this "banana republic" - and when you read the Moriarty Report, wasn't he absolutely right?

IP Logged

Reply #57 - 12/27/06 at 23:08:27

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

I don't agree that Irish audiences haven't a note in their heads.
You're comparing two completely different things when you compare audiences who listened to showbands with audiences who vote in these stupid "Talent Shows" on TV nowadays.
By the way, Sir Bob is more than a little conceited. Fair enough he wrote a couple of good songs but that hardly qualifies him to be an expert on everything including things he knows absolutely nothing about 8)

IP Logged

Reply #58 - 12/27/06 at 23:47:39

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!

I disagree with the comment: 'Irish audiences are primarily to blame: they haven't got a note in their heads'. We are not talking about talent shows, we are making comments on Irish Showbands & their demise. Do you honestly think that the paying public would go out in all weathers, travel any amount of miles, to hear & dance to  'a large number of chancers and third-rate musicians'? I for one certainly wouldn't. Do we particularly care if they used session musicians on their recordings? We went to dances to listen to 'live' music...to be entertained & have a good time. Fair enough to say that maybe some of the 'warm-up' bands were a bit rough round the edges, but even some of those went on to be the 'main attraction'. Bands like Tweed, the Memories & Chips were brilliant to see perform. I suppose I could add some C&W bands in there too. But at the end of the day, it was the good old paying public that judged whether these bands were booked again at a venue. If the crowds didn't turn out, then the bands weren't asked back.
Isn't it good to see so many members give their opinions on this topic?  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #59 - 12/28/06 at 00:47:43

shiner   Offline
Music Student
donegal

8) 8) i think it was just down to money, goups were3/6 people, no brass .fue guitars an drums .some eletronics.showbands mostly a big staff.also discos very cheap for venues.  tweed top shelf.they used 2 play a song called :tokoloshe man by john kongos:i have just got original song after al these years. happy new year to all. ??? 8) 8) 8)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print