Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
The Demise of the Showband... (Read 61479 times)
Reply #60 - 12/28/06 at 15:10:30
luap   Ex Member

Some of the later bands were definitely very talented, that cannot be denied. But ask yourself why? In the early showband days, there was no almost no music on Radio Eireann apart from the sponsored programmes.  TV was in it's infancy in Ireland, Telefis Eireann did  not cater for young people at all and it was very difficult to get BBC or UTV.  All that was available was the local ballroom and whatever band turned up, good, bad or indifferent,  got the local crowd regardless.  In Dublin there was more choice, so more competition between bands. 
As things improved for the audiences and music was available from more sources, interest in the showbands declined: because the music from those other sources was better!
To say that bands didn't get booked again if they were no good was not strictly true: remember a small number of managers handled the major bands, and they used the successful bands to leverage their bookings for their new proteges.  Ballroom managers were told: "You can have band ABC next month if you take band XYZ the following week."
Much is made in other discussions on this site of the highly talented and successful musicians who cut their teeth in showbands (Rory Gallagher and Van The Man, for example), as if this is proof that showbands were good; however, the converse is true - they could not get away quick enough from the showband scene and play real music with real musicians.
I stand over my premise that a serious lack of talent did contribute to the demise of the showband scene.

IP Logged

Reply #61 - 12/28/06 at 15:23:27

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Carry on Luap and make your points. But you're wrong. D'ya know why??? Because I'm right and the two of us can't be Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Reply #62 - 01/02/07 at 23:05:36

whistle   Offline
Journeyman Musician
while you work
Kerry

[quote author=liamo /Carry on Luap and make your points. But you're wrong. D'ya know why??? Because I'm right and the two of us can't be /quote]

Liamo, I've seem your comments on the Bob Geldof thread (the administrator should merge these two threads) and this is typical of how you respond to people who make sensible points.  Luap has made some important points and all you can do is sneer.

Earlier, another contributor wrote:
"we shouldn't be blinded by nostalgia because for every good showband there were a dozen pretty dire ones, but then I guess it didn't really matter because the main reason we attended a dance was to get a woman or a man , the music was a very poor second.  "
Another goes  "It was every country girls dream to attended a dance and meet prince charming (a wealthy farmer hopefully) and live happily ever after."

Makes sense to me...I remember the inside of a few dance halls but I wasn't there for the ceili or bad elvis impersonators or country&sh1t3 that was rolling from the bandstand...

IP Logged

Reply #63 - 01/02/07 at 23:14:27

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Dear God Whistle, I'm delighted you arrived along to teach me.
May I respectfully suggest that before you start sounding off at people (like myself in this case), that you do a bit of revision on grammer.
There is a vast difference between SNEERING and HAVING A JOKE.
Then of course, perhaps you don't have a sense of humour.
Read my comments again. The majority of them make good points as well!!!!
A few are of the JOVIAL nature, not SNEERS.

IP Logged

Reply #64 - 01/02/07 at 23:20:29

whistle   Offline
Journeyman Musician
while you work
Kerry

[quote author=liamo[27]Dear God Whistle, I'm delig.... [/quote]

recognition finally for my deity status....!

No intention to offend liamo, and I haven't had time to read all of your many posts. I'll be more careful in future (new year's resolution, perhaps)

IP Logged

Reply #65 - 01/02/07 at 23:23:42

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

There y'are Whistle. Just like Sir Bob in the other tread, you make comments without knowing the facts Roll Eyes

Happy 2007 to ya Wink

IP Logged

Reply #66 - 01/02/07 at 23:26:47

whistle   Offline
Journeyman Musician
while you work
Kerry

true to form, attack the man not the topic

IP Logged

Reply #67 - 01/02/07 at 23:40:22

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Whistle. At least be consistent.

In an earlier post you say you've seen my comments and all I can do is sneer.
When I correct you on that you say, no intention to offend and you haven't read all my comments.

When I bring that to your notice you revert to type and say I'm being true to form.

Make up your mind!!!
Either you've read my comments or you haven't.
Either you intend to offend or you don't.

Or would it have something to do with my comments not agreeing with yours???

IP Logged

Reply #68 - 01/03/07 at 14:31:21

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

A small addition to the above post.

Whistle, I don't know how you construe that I "attacked the man". No way, I attacked what the man said!!!!!

As regards "Typical" and "True to Form"++++

There's a difference between us. Unlike you I wouldn't even try to hazard a guess as to what's "Typical" or "True to Form" for you. I don't know you , have never met you  and wouldn.t assume to have the knowledge to judge you or anyone else, on the basis of a few forum posts.
I definitely wouldn't be offensive or insulting to anyone on such flimsy knowledge.
« Last Edit: 01/03/07 at 16:00:30 by liamo »  
IP Logged

Reply #69 - 01/04/07 at 14:01:28
luap   Ex Member

Hi Whistle - I suggest that you don't dignify this diatribe with a reply.  Your magnanimity places you on the higher ground.  It's such a pity people have  to take things so personally and its unfair to other visitors to have to scroll through such petulance.  That said, you got the guy to write more words than he has ever done in a single post!

IP Logged

Reply #70 - 01/04/07 at 14:10:14

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

How fortunate we are to be honoured by yet another expert visiting.

IP Logged

Reply #71 - 01/04/07 at 14:33:48
luap   Ex Member

there's a famous story about CBS A&R man Jackie Hayden going to his head office in London in the early 70s with demos of a young band he wanted to sign.  The band was U2, and he was told that long hair and guitars was a 60s thing, and that CBS had no intention of signing them internationally (he could waste his paltry Irish budget on them if he so wished). They signed up with Island Records, and the rest is history. 
So saying that the showbands are a thing of the past may be wrong; if a good showband came together (and I don't mean all the - with respect - old veterans reforming) with talented musicians who could write their own material AND do good covers, who knows, the punters may go for it!
Anyone see Jools Holland on New Years Eve? It struck me that they were just like a showband minus the uniforms - great rythm section, incredible brass and strong backing vocals behind a number of different guest artists.
Remember, live music is not dead, there's a lot of great musos out there and a lot of punters are still willing to shell out good money to hear them.

IP Logged

Reply #72 - 01/04/07 at 18:50:09
luap   Ex Member

"How fortunate we are to be honoured by yet another expert visiting" posted by liamo
Visiting? sorry, mate, I'm a member just like you - or is this your exclusive club?

IP Logged

Reply #73 - 01/04/07 at 20:07:18

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!
Northamptonshire, England

Hiya lads... How about we start a new thread possibly titled: 'We can't agree to disagree' or better still: 'You're picking on me, so I'll have a go at you'.... Tongue. Honestly! Are we not all civilised adults here? Unlike the Sex Pistols who were tone deaf eejits who had the weirdest looking fans that I've ever seen (Oh! dear..Have I started something else off now? Grin)

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them!
IP Logged

Reply #74 - 01/04/07 at 22:42:54

whistle   Offline
Journeyman Musician
while you work
Kerry

have to agree with Luap about Jools Holland, fantastic musician, fantastic band. And how  do they get such a tremenduous sound with so many acts all on a live show?  RTE can't even get one band playing on the Late Late to sound good!
Not a bad idea about getting a bunch of young whipper-snappers together to form a new showband, maybe the time is ripe again?  Good music will always find an audience.
I too heard that story about U2 and CBS, and was it CBS who also turned down the Beatles all those years before that?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print