Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
The Demise of the Showband... (Read 61481 times)
Reply #30 - 05/30/06 at 15:31:03

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!
Northamptonshire, England

I was just thinking that...I'm not very good at 'polite' once I get going.......  Angry. Glad to see that we are unaminous on this subject....well 99% are... Grin

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them!
IP Logged

Reply #31 - 05/31/06 at 01:15:27

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

Tongue Tongue Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley SmileyTrisha my thoughts exactly,but those timeswere magic weren't they?still relive them time and time again,some of the happiest of my life! Dee take a bow you and your fellow peers we owe a lot too.!Best Wishes,Luv Pete Tongue

IP Logged

Reply #32 - 05/31/06 at 02:14:06

eddy   Offline
Journeyman Musician
love is the answer, and
 you know that for sure,

yep they were good times, good memories, any one remember that beautifull song  that radio luxi  would close with?
i can still hear paul burnett saying, this is paul burnett  wishing you gods blessings and peace where ever you are,
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
and then that beautifull song,                   Roll Eyes Shocked Roll Eyes

all you need is love
IP Logged

Reply #33 - 05/31/06 at 02:29:55

angelvoice   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Ex-Showband front woman!

Yes...vaguely...can't remember exactly what it was
I'm gonna do a search..hah
X

IP Logged

Reply #34 - 05/31/06 at 02:34:04

eddy   Offline
Journeyman Musician
love is the answer, and
 you know that for sure,

Roll Eyesit goes something like look well to the future, now im back in the past thinking of song, Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

all you need is love
IP Logged

Reply #35 - 05/31/06 at 15:12:45

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!

I know that this has nothing at all to do with this thread but I remember a song that one of the D.J.'s on Luxy played at the end of his show. I can't remember the artist but the song went...ahem...(just clearing my throat!) ....'At the end of the day just kneel & pray, thank you Lord for my world today, I try to be good for I know that I should. That's my prayer, at the end of the day.' Don't know if this helps eddy? I loved listening to Luxy when I was doing the 'late shift'. Many of the D.J's came from Radio Caroline (pirate station).

IP Logged

Reply #36 - 05/31/06 at 15:25:35

eddy   Offline
Journeyman Musician
love is the answer, and
 you know that for sure,

hi trisha,
thanks for those few words from song, beautifull, they must be from song im thinking about,
it does in a way for me anyway relate to the showband era,
cause after the dances, radio luxi  would be on the car radio, and would finish with that song

all you need is love
IP Logged

Reply #37 - 05/31/06 at 20:49:24

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi All,

Just in case you haven't found out the identify that lovely song used by Radio Luxembourg as their sign off all those years ago.
It was 'At The End Of The Day' sung by Steve Cochran.
Cochran was a moderately successful singer of the 'Vocalist' genre. He died young ( 31 Ibelieve) and is still remembered fondly for this recording.

Hope this helps

rgds

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #38 - 05/31/06 at 21:01:27

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

He Again.

Correction:  The singer of 'At The End Of The Day' was of course Steve Conway not Cochran as previously stated. I think Cochran was  a an American B Movie actor.

rgds

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #39 - 05/31/06 at 21:36:04

Tiptop   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Aw shucks guys (and gals) why is everybody always pickin' on me. This forum is for people to express their views on all the different aspects of the showband era.  And that's why I'm here. If my views don't coincide with everyone elses, well that what a democracy is all about. Some people tend to wallow in nostalgia which blinds their thinking about the period in question. This topic started off about the demise of the showband. I expressed my views on why I think it happened, but sadly everyone just latched on to my final remarks and ignored and failed to address the other points I made. My heart bleeds for all the showbands who had to spent so much time after a dance signing autographs, handing out band photos and trying to click with the chicks. Every band member I have known has quoted the following reasons for joining a showband (a) the money (b) the chicks. Trisha must think we were all morons back in the 60's and 70's when she wrote and I quote "Many fans did not realize how far some bands had to travel to get to a gig" end of quote. Of course we knew, didn't it state on the posters and in the newspaper adverts, Royal showband (Waterford), The Emperors (Derry), Paragon 7 (Dundalk) etc etc. As for Liamo's comment that he knew why he went to a dance; he went for the money (and maybe the chicks!). As a person who  sampled the showband scene in the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's and visited ballrooms in all four provinces, I think I'm entitled to express my views on this forum. There's nothing like a good debate on the merits or otherwise of the showband era whether it be the bands, the dancers, the ballrooms, the managers, the records etc.

IP Logged

Reply #40 - 05/31/06 at 22:11:30

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Tiptop, You have me stumped on one thing. You say I went to dances for the money!!!!!. I don't follow ???

IP Logged

Reply #41 - 05/31/06 at 22:22:58

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi everyone,

I have to say there is a great deal of truth, however unpalatable it may be, to what Tiptop has to say.
I think this site is essentially a nostalgia site and as such functions very well. In general the people who post here are good hearted men and women who grew up during the hay day of the showbands and remember those days with great fondness and there is no harm in that. This devotion however can lead to a 'Rose Coloured Spectacles' view of things and frankly there's no harm in that either. The reality of the Showband era was not quite so rosy. All the problems that occur in the normal workplace were  there in bucketfulls ie egos, piss artists, cliques, etc. Speaking as someone who played right throughout that time, I can assure you that after doing 20 gigs on the trot the last thing on your mind as you climbed into that bloody wagon again was "Let's go and give the people a great night" It would be more like "If I have to spend another minute with these guys I'm going to shoot someone. At this point let me make it clear that It really was a grand adventure and I wouldn't change a minute of it but it wasn't all Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland "Why don't WE put on a show" stuff. Simply put, the Showbands died because they had had their day no more no less. The question of our prowess or ineptitude as musicians is purely academic.

In closing let me say that I for one feel greatly honoured that so may people still have such a fondness for what we did all those years ago..

Rgds

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #42 - 05/31/06 at 22:47:06

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

I have to agree with alot of what you say Barry. However I think we're straying from the original point a bit. True all what you say went on in the Showband world as in every walk of life. i often felt like strangling the fellow beside me on stage and I'm sure the feeling was mutual Roll Eyes. There was nothing "Holier Than Thou" about the Showband Era or The Showbands. I don't think, however that that was a contributing factor to their demise.
Just to go back to Tiptop's latest post. Certainly Tiptop I would agree that you are entitled to voicing your opinions on the forum. As you say it should be democratic.
But if you glance back through your earlier posts you weren't inclined to give the rest of us a "democratic" crack of the whip, were you Grin Grin

IP Logged

Reply #43 - 05/31/06 at 22:47:12

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!

Tiptop - The posters, newspaper ads etc where you come from may have had where different bands came from but not where I lived (that I can remember anyway). You could usually tell where an individual was from by their dialect. On a closing note.....I don't think ALL fans were morons........!

IP Logged

Reply #44 - 05/31/06 at 23:10:57

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi Liamo,

When I  read Tiptop's first post I thought he was just some guy having a gratuitous pop at the Showbands, I found his form of language provokative to say the least and as expected he was given short shrift by the regular contributors to this forum. However, having read his last post I have to admit the guy has a fair idea of what he was talking about and I totally respect his right to express his opinions.

Didn't Voltaire say, and I'm paraphrasing here " I do not agree with what you say but I will defend with my life your right to say it"

That'll do for me.

Barry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print