Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Let's start a new Showband (Read 60973 times)
Reply #30 - 01/05/07 at 13:48:01

whistle   Offline
Journeyman Musician
while you work
Kerry

but Ron, he's allegedly a "fifth-rate, three chord" musician, and anyway if he showed his face anywhere near rehearsals he'd be throttled!   AAAARRRGHHH   why did I say anything!  just when this thread was going so well...trust me to put my two big feet in there...

IP Logged

Reply #31 - 01/05/07 at 14:08:33

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

whistle wrote on 01/05/07 at 13:07:03:
Whoa there cowboys, slow down!  As George W Bush's Number One Fan, I believe in democracy and I suggest we assemble a few more proposals and then take a vote on it.  
Perhaps the Administrator might create a table (similar to the listings for band members on the main website), and have people vote within, say a specific time period;  maybe we could put January 31st as the cutoff date?  
I also think we need a lot more suggestions for the brass section and I would humbly suggest, at risk of offending some members, that we need to look outside our little island of Ireland.  I don't have a great opinion of our native horn players, I'm sorry; I often go to hear the NSO and even they leave a little to be desired.  Now, when Bruce is finished his Seger Sessions tour, we could maybe send our manager to discuss terms with those guys?  They were somethin' else!
What about John Drummond on bass?

PS - Point Of Order: Ron!!!! the first time Keith Moon was mentioned on this forum was when you said Keith was the only drummer who could keep up with the punks....so you need to take the credit for that suggestion!

Hello Whistle, re your point of order, I mentioned Keith that is true, but that was in another context, so I will pass on that, but thanks for the thought.
Re' George Bush, sorry we part company there, but I believe music should be the sole subject of this, or any board where musicians post, after all we are all Brothers and Sisters at heart.

Regarding voting, with you 100%, I did broach this subject in one of my postings, and it's only fair that we go down that road. Re' Bass , I was hoping that some-one would nominate Phil from Thin Lizzy' not only was he a great bass-player, but could help out in the vocal department (don't forget in this Band we have invited players who have passed on to join us).

I also agree that it's a very good idea (very good indeed) that the Administrator (who is Aministrator by the way?) to get involved , sort out the table you mentioned, and help us pick the Team. But as I started this thread, I would like Barry to be leader, And Trisha to be Secretary and in charge of PR (if she so wishes). You can vote against these Offices, but I hope you will not, as they have in my humble opinion well earned their respective Offices. So come on people, this is your Band, you can all have a say, and all your ideas are very welome, and we will take all your choices and votes under consideration.

IP Logged

Reply #32 - 01/05/07 at 14:13:41

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

whistle wrote on 01/05/07 at 13:48:01:
but Ron, he's allegedly a "fifth-rate, three chord" musician, and anyway if he showed his face anywhere near rehearsals he'd be throttled!   AAAARRRGHHH   why did I say anything!  just when this thread was going so well...trust me to put my two big feet in there...

Hello Whistle, But he is 'high profile' , and don't forget Barry is in charge, he will soon sort St Bob out if he gets stroppy! No I think it's a very good idea to have St Bob on the team, perhaps he could get the Gigs???

IP Logged

Reply #33 - 01/05/07 at 14:58:23

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi Whistle,

Re the horn section.

Mike Nolan/Stephen McDonald Trpt
John Trotter/Carl Ronan/Jack Bayle T/Bone
Richie Buckley Karl Gerrathy Derek O'Connor Tenor Sax.

Those guys could play with ANYBODY.

Last time I looked most if not all of the brass players with the NSO were German/British etc imports.

Rgds

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #34 - 01/05/07 at 14:59:03

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

The administrator is Gerry Gallagher. Normally he is very much on top of things on the site. However, presently I doubt if he could get involved due to personal circumstances.
If you go to the Home Page you will find "A Special Message From Gerry" directly opposite the pic of the Fairways. That will explain.

IP Logged

Reply #35 - 01/05/07 at 15:04:40

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi Again,

My own choice for the bass chair would be Noel McGann of the Cadets. I'd swear Noel never played a bum note in his life, swings like the bejasus and is an incredible singer to boot.

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #36 - 01/05/07 at 15:20:53

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

liamo wrote on 01/05/07 at 14:59:03:
The administrator is Gerry Gallagher. Normally he is very much on top of things on the site. However, presently I doubt if he could get involved due to personal circumstances.
If you go to the Home Page you will find "A Special Message From Gerry" directly opposite the pic of the Fairways. That will explain.

Hello Liamo, I did not know about this, I will go and read it when I have posted this. Thank you for drawing that to my attention ,Ron.

IP Logged

Reply #37 - 01/05/07 at 15:24:44

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Barry wrote on 01/05/07 at 15:04:40:
Hi Again,

My own choice for the bass chair would be Noel McGann of the Cadets. I'd swear Noel never played a bum note in his life, swings like the bejasus and is an incredible singer to boot.

Barry

hello Barry, put him on the list, if you say he is good that's good enough for me, (and for anyone else). Do you remember a Band called 'The Airchords' ? I am sure we played with them, what struck me was their transport, they had two VW Beatles, with very smart trailers on the back, looked so cool!! cheers, Ron.

IP Logged

Reply #38 - 01/05/07 at 15:36:11

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Ron, No prob. I know you didn't know.

IP Logged

Reply #39 - 01/05/07 at 15:57:22

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

ronryan wrote on 01/05/07 at 15:20:53:
Hello Liamo, I did not know about this, I will go and read it when I have posted this. Thank you for drawing that to my attention ,Ron.

Hello Liamo, Thank you for letting me know about Grant. I have been to the site, and I have signded the book. I will take some time off and reflect, so will not post again till tomorrow. But please every-one keep it coming. Thanks again for letting me know, it's so very sad.

IP Logged

Reply #40 - 01/05/07 at 19:00:15

whistle   Offline
Journeyman Musician
while you work
Kerry

Hi Barry  - re your suggestions on the horns: Mike Nolan was (sadly RIP) an incredible player at his peak and a lovely, lovely guy.  I'd agree on
Richie Buckley too, him and Keith Donald are top class.

Ron: perhaps you did not notice, but my reference to being a fan of Dubya was made with tongue firmly in cheek!

Now, folks, we are all forgetting the most important member of the team (and s/he will also be the most reviled - THE ACCOUNTANT!  Someone has to put together the Business Plan and source the spondoolix to finance the whole operation.

PS  - has anyone got the album that came out with Mike and Keith in the 70s, I think Noel Kelehan was involved too?  No idea of the name, but if anyone remembers or has it, it was superb!

IP Logged

Reply #41 - 01/05/07 at 19:09:33

whistle   Offline
Journeyman Musician
while you work
Kerry

ronryan [quote][Phil from Thin Lizzy' not only was he a great bass-player, but could help out in the vocal department ] [end quote]

Ron, as you're on t'other side of the little pond you may not have seen the news that (yet again!) "lost" recordings of Philo have been discovered!  And - as it's a slow news week - the meedja have been interviewing his old pals:  Brush Shiels boasted that he personally had taught Phil to play the bass but, despite the superb tuition, that Phil was never a great bass player; furthermore, he assured the interviewer that Phil was never a great singer either!  In fact, the only reason Brush had Phil in his band back then was that he pulled in the girls coz he was so good-lookin! (I suppose, stood next to Brush, even I could look handsome!)

Now if Brush says it, it must be true.... (NOTE: tongue firmly in cheek again!)

IP Logged

Reply #42 - 01/05/07 at 20:04:26

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi again,

I actually gave Philo a couple of lessons meself. I use a plectrum and thats the way I showed him how to play.
He used to drop around to a flat  I had in Heytsbury Street in Dublin.
I tried to teach him scales and reading music but he wasn't really interested in that stuff, he just wanted to play.
He was the most amiable of people and he ended up a decent bass player.
regards

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #43 - 01/05/07 at 20:55:52

Tiptop   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Surprised no one mentioned Rob Strong (vocals/bass) and how can you leave out Ray Moore (keyboards/tpt). I would also like to nominate Tiger Taylor (guitar) and Billy Brown (vocals, MD, arranger etc. A good man to have in the band as he can contribute some original songs. The name Universal Showband reminds me of Chris Lamb and The Universals.

IP Logged

Reply #44 - 01/05/07 at 21:18:11

smith   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

whistle wrote on 01/05/07 at 13:09:57:
what about Bob Geldof on keyboards?

No! STOP!  I'm only kidding!  forget I opened my mouth!!!!!  It was a joke! REALLY!!!!

Would  Bob Geldof not be better on Air Guitar
                               smith

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print