Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Let's start a new Showband (Read 60950 times)
Reply #60 - 01/06/07 at 14:33:16

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Hello Ron, I saw your other post. It arrived as I was typing my last one and appeared just befor mine. Our posts crossed.
I agree that there certainly were some very good, non-Irish heads in Showbands. One of my selections for the Universal, Roy Addinell (Johhny Quigley) on trumpet was one. Michael Gilligan who replaced Jim Conlon in the Royal for a while and was with The Blue Aces was another and the bould Houston Wells was another.
I am not finding fault with your ideas or motives whatsoever and laud the motives which spuurred you to start the idea.
I felt, as I said, that it was too widespread with too many to choose from. None of us has mentioned Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennet etc. etc. etc. for lead singer.
As you say it might be a good idea to have a seperate tread for an all Irish Showband

IP Logged

Reply #61 - 01/06/07 at 14:49:10

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi all,
First of all, the last thing I want to do is confuse matters on a terrific thread but just to clarify. No way do I think that the members of the Universal Showband should be exclusively Irish. It's just that some of the suggestions were getting a bit 'out there'. After all it is a Showband we are putting together and some of the people suggested make the mind boggle. I know I would not like to be the guy who has to tell Keith Moon that the next tune is Jim Reeves 'He'll have to go'
mid way through a Nine to Two gig in Tubbercurry (although it would be interesting to hear how he handled it) You know what I mean, There has to be SOME semblance of reality to this whole thing otherwise it is just an opportunity for us all to make a pitch for our favourite musicians.
The suggestions I put forward just happen to be Irish.
Somebody elase could just as easily  suggest Roly Daniels (India) Earl Jordan (USA) Gene Chetty (SouthAfrica) or John Drummond (Scotland) and I would have no problem with that.

rgds

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #62 - 01/06/07 at 15:08:48

whistle   Offline
Journeyman Musician
while you work
Kerry

The first item on the agenda of any new Irish organisation is The Split.
Didn't take yiz long, lads.

IP Logged

Reply #63 - 01/06/07 at 15:11:34

whistle   Offline
Journeyman Musician
while you work
Kerry

[td] Vocals:  Brendan Ryder, Ray Lynam, Jon Bon Jovi, Brendan Bowyer, Dickie Rock, Billy Brown, Rob Strong. [/td]

If we go with Dickie, we'll be limited in the venues we can play.  Not many places have doors wide enough for his head to get through.

IP Logged

Reply #64 - 01/06/07 at 15:55:31

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi Whistle,

Do you have something to back up the "Big Head' crack ?

Off Topic  but I'd just like to know.

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #65 - 01/06/07 at 18:07:52

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!
Northamptonshire, England

Hi lads! I was wondering when someone would notice how 'out of hand' this 'Universal Showband' was getting. A brilliant idea Ron, but as Liamo rightly adds, that no one suggested Frank Sinatra etc. Before we know it, we'll have Barry Manilow or Louis Armstrong in there with a bit of Barbra Streisand too!!
However, may I make a suggestion that if we are forming an Irish Showband...could we have a different name eg. 'The Emerald Aces Showband'? Then the 'Universal Showband' can continue on. Then, when both bands have been decided, we could have a 'friendly' debate as to their showmanship qualities...(no doubt , knowing this forum, someone will have something to say about them!!) Grin

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them!
IP Logged

Reply #66 - 01/06/07 at 18:37:36

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

liamo wrote on 01/06/07 at 14:33:16:
Hello Ron, I saw your other post. It arrived as I was typing my last one and appeared just befor mine. Our posts crossed.
I agree that there certainly were some very good, non-Irish heads in Showbands. One of my selections for the Universal, Roy Addinell (Johhny Quigley) on trumpet was one. Michael Gilligan who replaced Jim Conlon in the Royal for a while and was with The Blue Aces was another and the bould Houston Wells was another.
I am not finding fault with your ideas or motives whatsoever and laud the motives which spuurred you to start the idea.
I felt, as I said, that it was too widespread with too many to choose from. None of us has mentioned Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennet etc. etc. etc. for lead singer.
As you say it might be a good idea to have a seperate tread for an all Irish Showband

Hello Liamo, First off this is an imaginary Band, a chance to bring to the notice of people every-where just what a great idea 'Showbands' were. I did say time and again that the Singers, who in most bands were 'Frontman' or Frontladies' should be Irish, Hence my own personal choices Brendan Bowyer, and Dickie Rock. It was a little different when I joined the 'Blue Aces' as Charlie (Cheevers) did most of the talking, as he is as Irish as shamrock, and I speak like Michael Caine, and the last think we needed was Michael Caine saying 'The next song is the Old Woman from Wexford'. And when we toured abroad people loved to hear Irish people talk, it's a fact, I am one of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Also Charlie is a very good talker and entertainer, and a bloody good  Sax player/Singer.  If we had Tom Jones, Elvis, Cliff Richard on any other singer then no way would it be, or should it be, a Showband, as every memeber of a real Showband was a Star in their own right. I am more than happy to give way, and say go with my other idea, (and a good idea it is too if I may say so), is to start another thread, which I will watch, and post on if I think I have some-thing to say that might be helpful.

IP Logged

Reply #67 - 01/06/07 at 18:57:48

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Barry wrote on 01/06/07 at 14:49:10:
Hi all,
First of all, the last thing I want to do is confuse matters on a terrific thread but just to clarify. No way do I think that the members of the Universal Showband should be exclusively Irish. It's just that some of the suggestions were getting a bit 'out there'. After all it is a Showband we are putting together and some of the people suggested make the mind boggle. I know I would not like to be the guy who has to tell Keith Moon that the next tune is Jim Reeves 'He'll have to go'
mid way through a Nine to Two gig in Tubbercurry (although it would be interesting to hear how he handled it) You know what I mean, There has to be SOME semblance of reality to this whole thing otherwise it is just an opportunity for us all to make a pitch for our favourite musicians.
The suggestions I put forward just happen to be Irish.
Somebody elase could just as easily  suggest Roly Daniels (India) Earl Jordan (USA) Gene Chetty (SouthAfrica) or John Drummond (Scotland) and I would have no problem with that.

rgds

Barry

hello Barry, As I said to Liamo, this is an imaginary band, and in ones head anything is possible. As for Heads 'towing the line' you have a point. It came as a bit of a shock to me straight out of a Brit' Pop Band 'The Riot Squad' when I was given a list of songs to learn the most would not have been my first choice of songs to sing. But I was with a 'Showband' and in my eye's one of the very best, Charlie (Cheevers) was the Leader, and he knew what was best for the Band, athough after a while he gave me a freer hand. But again don't get me wrong, I loved some of the songs, still do, 'the Holy Ground' , 'the old Woman from Wexford', ' Were'r all off to Dublin in the Green' Twentyone Years', Thank God were'r surrounded by water ! yes I sung all those. I just wanted to show as many people all over the World, some of which have never heard of 'Wexford, Limerick. Dublin, Belfast, County Down, just what it was like seeing a Showband. I have said it before, and will say it again, those were some of the best days of my life.

IP Logged

Reply #68 - 01/06/07 at 18:59:34

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Barry wrote on 01/06/07 at 15:55:31:
Hi Whistle,

Do you have something to back up the "Big Head' crack ?

Off Topic  but I'd just like to know.

Barry

Whoa there lads, we leave all that at the door please, we are all friends here.

IP Logged

Reply #69 - 01/06/07 at 19:29:45

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trish wrote on 01/06/07 at 18:07:52:
Hi lads! I was wondering when someone would notice how 'out of hand' this 'Universal Showband' was getting. A brilliant idea Ron, but as Liamo rightly adds, that no one suggested Frank Sinatra etc. Before we know it, we'll have Barry Manilow or Louis Armstrong in there with a bit of Barbra Streisand too!!
However, may I make a suggestion that if we are forming an Irish Showband...could we have a different name eg. 'The Emerald Aces Showband'? Then the 'Universal Showband' can continue on. Then, when both bands have been decided, we could have a 'friendly' debate as to their showmanship qualities...(no doubt , knowing this forum, someone will have something to say about them!!) Grin

hello Trisha, Yes you are right, it is getting a bit out of hand, my intentions were good, and what's that they say about the road to good intention? Still we have have my 'plan 'B', that's to start a new thread, about a new Irish showband, of indigenous players. Pity, my dream would have been have been a Showband, with Irish Front-Persons leading an international band, to show the World what they missed, the Best Showband ever!

IP Logged

Reply #70 - 01/06/07 at 21:00:19

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

H Ron,

No problem. I was curious to know  the source of such a gratuitous swipe at someone who I know for a fact is anything but a big head.

Rgds

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #71 - 01/06/07 at 21:09:05

Barry   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hi again Ron,

Just thinking of non Irish people who would have found  success in the hay day of the Showbands.
Don't laugh, but Russ Abbott would have gone down an absolute bomb. His background is in the comedy 'show-group' area  so his contribution to the show would not be  confined to the comedy numbers..

Remember Joe Clark of the Witnesses ? A very funny man.

Barry

IP Logged

Reply #72 - 01/06/07 at 22:08:47

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Barry wrote on 01/06/07 at 21:00:19:
H Ron,

No problem. I was curious to know  the source of such a gratuitous swipe at someone who I know for a fact is anything but a big head.

Rgds

Barry

hello Barry, thats, fine, and it's very commendable of you coming to some-one I presume you regard as a friend's defence. There is enough trouble in the World, and in my humble opinion we are all Brothers and Sisters in music on this board, and should all try and get along. We may not see eye to eye about things, but that's true in any Family, but lets try. Have a very good week-end mate, Ron.

IP Logged

Reply #73 - 01/06/07 at 22:22:16

ronryan   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Barry wrote on 01/06/07 at 21:09:05:
Hi again Ron,

Just thinking of non Irish people who would have found  success in the hay day of the Showbands.
Don't laugh, but Russ Abbott would have gone down an absolute bomb. His background is in the comedy 'show-group' area  so his contribution to the show would not be  confined to the comedy numbers..

Remember Joe Clark of the Witnesses ? A very funny man.

Barry

Hello Barry, Yes Russ would have gone down a storm, very funny. We in 'The Aces' did not do much in the way of comedy, mores the pity, I think the funniest thing we ever did was me try do do a 'Jig' onstage with the Lads, now that was funny, I did not mean it to be, but I was not made for Jigging, and people used to roll about laughing. My biggest regret is that I only saw a few Showbands, as most of the Gigs we were on our own (long, long, long nights Showbands earnt their pay). So I did not see 'Joe Clarke'. One of my fondest memories was working with the Clipper Charlton Showband, it was like being on the same bill as 'The Beatles', the Lads in 'the Aces' showed them so much respect, and what a show they put on, true Pro's, the lead Singer was so bloody good!! and had so much Stage presence.

IP Logged

Reply #74 - 01/06/07 at 22:43:24

whistle   Offline
Journeyman Musician
while you work
Kerry

Re the "wide doors/big head" comment: personal experience guys, personal experience.  1970s to 2006.  And I wouldn't be the first to say it, however, I accept it was outa place here.  For that, I apologise.
But is there a bar on free speech here?   

A good thread, Ron, full credit mate, even if the dissension is creeping in with the "split".

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print