Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
irish-showbands.com Free Forum

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Hi, from a far away land... well England actually (Read 24774 times)
Reply #15 - 04/26/06 at 02:01:37

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

Hi trisha,I am one of the older members on here,I live in Leicestershire not far from you,loved the showbands,they were great times weren't they?Peter Hayden,Nevadas drummer lives in South Northants,near Daventry. Chat to Peter occasionly,nice guy,brillant drummer,fascinated by the showbands though I am English,keep in touch with several people from those days. Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 04/26/06 at 02:02:43

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Sorry to hear about your ankle Dee. You must be joking!! Tell you my story on a public forum Shocked. Anyway there wouldn't be enough room Wink

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 04/26/06 at 02:31:09

angelvoice   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Ex-Showband front woman!

hahahahahahh
Ok, abbreviate!  Just tell me the basics...who, when, what. why, and IF!
You can see where I've been(musically speaking that is!)
X

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 04/26/06 at 02:57:01

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Dee, You can see onthe site where I've been musically too.
I notice from another post that you don't seem to be overly enamoured with Mr O'Dowd Shocked

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 04/26/06 at 09:28:10

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!
Northamptonshire, England

Hi all!
My comment was meant to be complimentary Liamo (although it sounded rather cheeky).  I wouldn't have a clue about your age but judging by your 'vast knowledge' of the Irish music scene. One can only assume you're senior in age than Dee & myself...(no offence  Grin) Who started this topic anyway?
Keep happy...
Trisha

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them!
IP Logged

Reply #20 - 04/26/06 at 11:31:59

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

I knew what you meant Trisha but your assumtion was correct anyway. I know there was no offence intended and none was taken. Can't remember who started the topic but who cares. It's a bit of craic Grin
Stay Hppy Yourself.
Again I think it's great to have a bit of activity on the forum.
One thing I'm not sure of is my having a vast knowledge of the scene Undecided

IP Logged

Reply #21 - 04/26/06 at 14:27:13

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

Llamo it's great talking about the showbands isn't it?Remember seeing Shaun O'Dowd with Tommy Drennan at the National,first showband I saw in 1975,I have a couple of Starband tracks on an album at home,Dee has a great voice,there were some great bands around and fantastic singers,so grateful for Gerry for setting this site up! Love talking about those days ,they were the best Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #22 - 04/26/06 at 15:26:27

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Hi Celebrity, Unfortunately for me or fortunatly for you, my old days are older than yours, the 60s. I'm getting surrounded by youngsters like yourself, Trisha and Dee. I'm not complaining as it's making me feel young Shocked
True what you say that it's great talking about the old days and the showbands. People say you can't live in the past and on Nostalgia but its certainly worth a try Grin

IP Logged

Reply #23 - 04/26/06 at 20:52:33

Trish   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Make Love not War!
Northamptonshire, England

Hi all,
Oh! how lovely it is to be referred to as a 'youngster'. I haven't been called that in a long time! Liamo, I remember the '60's (vaguely). The business that my family had in Ireland, meant that I got to meet most of the bands. I may even have met you at some time. I don't know your 'proper' name or what you did, so I can't say. Isn't it nice that so many fans of Irish music can converse through this forum?
Trisha

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them!
IP Logged

Reply #24 - 04/26/06 at 21:28:58

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

I doubt if you met me Trisha. I kinda finished around '66 but continued onaround my own locality for a long time after that.
I'll say this much. You few latest members have really livened up the forum and it's great to meet people with a common interest.
I have made a few very good friends through this and another forum. I've never met them but they are now good friends 8)

IP Logged

Reply #25 - 04/27/06 at 00:16:38

angelvoice   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Ex-Showband front woman!

Kiss Kiss Winkwhen I first came across this site by accident I was so emotional, I cried for 2 hours whilst I looked through and saw all those names I remembered. I noted all the wonderful performers who had died and wished I could turn the clock back.
It was extraordinary finding a site that had members who remembered the showband era so well and surthmore to discover people who remember me and even have some of my recordings is truly an amazing experience.
Wow, I owe  huge thank you to Gerry, and to all of you who have put me in touch with old friends and introduced me to some new.
I would love to sit in a pub, in the back of beyond, with all of you and chew the cud for hours over the old times, the old heads, the old gigs....but most of all the old magic- the one thing that seems to tie us all together. The old, the new and those who never were involved but feel it anyway:
Thanks to all of you for cheering up a 40 something womans existance.
YEEEEHAAAAA!
Anyone with their finger down their throat yet?

I meant every word. Kiss   Kiss

IP Logged

Reply #26 - 04/27/06 at 01:50:17

celebrity   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wigston.leicester

Smiley SmileyHi everyone,Thanks llamo for being called a youngster,Dee you have summed up the way I feel about the showbands,when I talk to people on the phone oremail either fans or performers there is so much passion,the showbands will never die,it broke my heart when  the National was pulled down,I could sit in a pub and talk about it for hours on end,I wasn't a performer but on the fringe,so still get emotional about those golden days,it is thanks to all of you and Gerry,keeping everything going.Keep the faith!Pete aka celebrity.P.s Dee hope the ankle gets better soon! Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #27 - 04/27/06 at 02:07:16

angelvoice   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Ex-Showband front woman!

You See????

That's what it's all about!

That's what pulls us all together, camaraderie!!!!!

Thank you for all the well wishing comments about the ankle, it's lovely to get so many comments.
Ironic to think it all happened when I was in the showband circuit!
Ok , quick story:
I had done a couple of V.O.'s for demo's for the Irish song contest in the studio. We finished late, very late. Went for the last drink of the night at Barbarella's ( Who remembers that one?) We had to leave at closing time about half an hour later and as we walked out the door the song writer of the tracks I had recorded that night said these infamous words 'BREAK A LEG'  So, ever obliging as I was...I did!...I walked a further few steps and he and another friend were ahead of me , I felt something snap and in the almost pitch black on that street outside the club, I looked down and saw my foot at 90 degrees to my leg!!!!!!!!! eeeeyyyuuuuuu!
I sat down and straightened it out...later I was convinced I would win thye Eurovision as both Dana and Johnny Logan had won sat on stools. I most definitely would spend a while singing on stools!
Not to be though, the song I recorded that night came 10th and 8 were showcased.
That break required a screw fixation, which went on to cause acute arthritis after about 10/15 years.
So...now I have a new ankle and fond memories of singing and touring Denmark (as per thye pics on the site) on crutches and Jiving on them on a very unsteady boat over there.

Oops, sorry...got a bit carried away there. I'll hush up now and let someone else have the mic   Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Reply #28 - 04/27/06 at 02:21:07

liamo   Offline
Journeyman Musician
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
arklow. ireland

Sorry for this Dee, but I can't help myself saying; "That's a cracking Story". Seriously I know it's anything but funny but I had to say.
There's a new friend lost Embarrassed

IP Logged

Reply #29 - 04/27/06 at 02:24:21

angelvoice   Offline
Journeyman Musician
Ex-Showband front woman!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

I've heard a few quips about my ankle but that a first..lol
The Irish have always been good at laughing at themselves...and what a good thing that is too....!

But Seriously, it's the last time I'll go pot-holing!
X
Nite all
Dee

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print